Transmission died at 55000 miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

07SubLTZ

Reaction score
My transmission started slipping in first gear the other day and my SES light came on. I headed straight to the dealer and when they asked me to go on a test drive with them, the transmission made a loud clunk when he put it in Drive and the truck wouldn't move. Lucky for me I'm under warranty. Is this a rare occurance, or has anyone else here had the same thing happen to them. It's a 2007 Suburban LTZ 2wd. I don't tow anything with it only family.

Donnie Yukonie

Yates Caretaker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow , No I would not think so , Maybe just a fluke . Glad to hear its under warranty

Zed 71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What tranny do you have? I have the 4L60E and mine let go about the same mileage. No towing and we baby it. Luckily it was still under warranty and it turned out to be the sprag. I wish they would have called me before they completed the work because I would have upgraded some of the parts.

OP
OP
07SubLTZ

07SubLTZ

Reaction score
I have the 4L60e. The dealer just called and said it was the 1-2 selinoid. Going to pick it up now. I hope this is the end of this issue.

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've heard mixed reviews about the 4L60e to be honest. Most people who take care of it and baby it don't have trouble at all but there are more than a few cases where they seem to have a short life span for some reason so I can't say yours having issues at 55k is all the surprising to me based on a few cases I've heard about from others. Like you said, hopefully this fix will get you going for a while especially since you don't tow much with it.

OP
OP
07SubLTZ

07SubLTZ

Reaction score
Well the truck drove fine for 1 day and the problem came back. After a 35 minute highway drive I pulled into a residential neighborhood and noticed 1st gear slipping followed by a 2nd gear jerk (no SES light this time). Took the truck back to the dealer today. What could cause the solenoid to keep acting up like this? Maybe it's not the solenoid? I need to get this resovled before the CPO warranty expires in 3000 miles or July.

OP
OP
07SubLTZ

07SubLTZ

Reaction score
I went to the dealer to pick it up yesterday. They said they replaced all the transmission guts. I would assume that if that was the case they would've just replaced it with a factory rebuild crate transmission. That's not what they did. He said the did a full rebuild there on my current transmission. In other words no factory warranty on my transmission if it takes a dumps in a few months after my CPO warranty runs out. Here is a list of what they did ( not really a full rebuild as he claimed).

photo (1).jpg

InTruckDesign

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That right there is the reason I did not have GM fix my trans when I blew it the first time in my tahoe. If they're going into it why wouldn't they replace the clutches, upgrade the planetary, forward sprag, etc. Hopefully yours will last for a while.

b4z

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They didn't replace much, but you hear about the 4L60e taking a dump at 50k miles and then you have some that go 300k.
Maybe what they did to yours will get you to 200k, but it also sounds like GM didn't want to pay for anymore than what the dealership did.
I had a solenoid die in an impala and because of an issue with the tranny fluid GM agreed to cover half the cost even though it was out of warranty. It actually shifted better than it had the day I bought it adter the repair.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnk71