Transmission fluid and filter change at 200K.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
the 01 1500 XL went to 270K - never opened the transmission - I did a full fluid change at 220K? when the cooler line broke. I never towed with it, and it never gave me trouble ( 4L60E ). once I got to 200K, I decided to leave it alone as much as possible. What is your plan for this truck - keep, sell, etc? The current one ( 02 2500 / 4L80E ) had the lines and fluid done at 138K - I got him at 143K - now 162K. I'll likely do the fluid around 200k - no leaks now. It has Dex 6, but I am considering Mobil 1 ATF.

nonickatall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a good video from ZF technicians about this topic. ZF is a German manufacturer of automatic transmissions that builds automatic transmissions for BMW and Mercedes, for example.

They strongly advise against using additives when flushing automatic transmissions.

Firstly, only the abrasion of the friction disks accumulates in an automatic transmission.

This will be flushed out by the flush anyway, because it is floating in the oil, and if residue remains somewhere in the gearbox, that's just the way it is.

Additives, on the other hand, that have a cleaning effect can no longer be removed from the transmission without leaving any residue, because there are simply too many valves, oil channels, pistons and so on.

From my point of view, a transmission flush is actually just “a transmission oil change” anyway.

Because this is not a flush that is supposed to remove any dirt from the transmission.

The problem with automatic transmissions is that you can't get the old oil out of the transmission without flushing.

That's why you usually connect a machine in a workshop that sucks out the oil on one side and fills in fresh oil on the other side until the machine notices that clean oil is now being sucked out.

The oil is now replaced.

These flush units make sense because they are a reliable process for the workshop and don't involve any mess with gear oil.

Additives are not necessary.

You can flush your transmission in the same way if you disconnect your hose from the top of the transmission oil cooler, attach a hose there, lead it into an oil pan and let your engine run briefly.

Then you stop, fill up the amount of oil that came out from the unit, again and repeat this procedure three to four times until the oil is changed.

The quality of the oil change is on par with a professional flush.

OP
OP
ns444

ns444

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Problem solved.

I went back in time to when the car was at 178k miles and had the transimision filter and fluids changed.
Well, kinda.
I use the car very little. A few thousand miles a year.
It has taken 5 years to go from 178K miles to 200K miles.
I had forgotten what my last mechanic had done to my car.
Yes, I'm very bad about keeping track of all my services.
In any case, I called the shop that used to take care of my car before and ask for my service records.
they confimred that Trnasmisson filter anf Fluids were changed at 178K miles. so I should be good until 240K miles.
Thank you again for your advice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Malachismith