Transmission issues on '97, Hard shifting, clicking...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
HotCarl

HotCarl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This shop seems pretty legit, I live in a small town in Northern Idaho, and most people around here are genuine. They called me after they found the problems and didn't start work until I called them back an hour later after, I consulted my dad. Hopefully it will be done before I go to work this afternoon.

grimm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
right on, well good luck and hopefully all is well again with your truck when everything is done.

OP
OP
HotCarl

HotCarl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just picked it up, $291.18 in the end for 2 new u joints, transmission and t case serviced. Sure it would have been nice to do myself but I lack tools, and a place to do it at, not to mention the time as my rig
is my daily driver.

RobYates27

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ok, not going to beat a dead horse here but I have a 98 HOE with the 5.7 and having the very same exact problems, so throw a update up about the tranny. Mine only shifts hard after about a 1/2 hour of driving and the tranny has "warmed" up.

The "clicking" or "banging" sound from underneath, can I inspect that myself without removing anything to make sure its the U-joints?

My HOE is also my "DD" so any more help is highly welcomed. The info from this post is giving me a sweet starting point.

OP
OP
HotCarl

HotCarl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Banging= most likely the U-joints. I wouldn't know what a bad one looks like though.

On the hard shifting, mine did it for a little bit but went away and no codes were thrown. I got the hoe from the shop Tuesday, and I have driven it every day and no more hard shifting... Sorry dude.

RobYates27

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well thanks for the update. I am taking it in Monday morning to get the trans flushed and service and the filter changed. I guess thats a good place to start just going by your story.

I have no idea what a bad U-joint looks like either so I have a friend coming to check it out tomorrow morning. Thanks for the help though.

TheBeast99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my Yuk sometimes shifts hard from 2-3 depending on how much throttle i'm giving it. but since i got 121k in mileage, i just assume i'll need a new tranny soon and i got the money saved up for when it finally goes.
but this isn't a problem as i just came from a crap car with a tranny that really was trashed, so this is like a freaking chariot to me :)

ravingmadman

Chief Knuckle Buster
Reaction score
Yeah, your U-joints are easy. Just get underneath your truck, and find the driveline. It's the shaft that connects the trnsmission to the rear end. You'll have one that goes to the front axle if you have a 4wd. Just grab hold of it at the transmission side, and see if you can move it up/down or side to side. If it moves, you need a new one. Do the same at the rear differential. They are easy to replace yourself, and cost ~$10 at the parts house.
:headbang:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CHKSTR96