Transmission Problem?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NAPOTS

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2005 Tahoe 4WD with the 4.8L. It has about 96k on the odometer. I think I might be developing transmission problems. I recently changed the fluid and filter in the transmission.

shifts from 1 to 2 are a little hard, this is more noticeable when it is cold. It also doesn't seem to like to shift into 4th gear when cold unless I lift on the throttle. Once it warms up it seems better and 1 to 2 shifts seem softer for the most part.

Where I think I may have a more serious problem is very rarely, like once every couple of weeks, with the engine and tranny fully warmed up I will come to a stop, when I go to accelerate the car won't move and then will suddenly bang into gear and drive forward. If I catch that it is doing this I can let off of the throttle before it bangs into gear let the revs drop back down and then take off like normal. It might do this once and then drive completely normal for a few weeks. I put about 375 miles a week on it so that is a lot of driving.

I know it shouldn't be "going into gear" becuase it is already in first and the torque convert is just not providing any torque to the tranny because the engine speed is below the stall speed but that is what it feels like.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Before you serviced it, when was it last done? How was the old fluid and filter? Noticed anything in the trans pan when it was down?

OP
OP
N

NAPOTS

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Fluid level looks ok. I don't know how old the fluid and filter were when I changed it, at least 10k (miles I put on it after I bought it). fluid looked ok, nothing abnormal in pan. I read that the tps can cause shifting issues but will usually throw a cel code, there are no codes in the odbii

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Burgy