Trying to Install New Grill Insert - Yukon 2009

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jason_999

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I am trying to install a new Grill Insert on our 2009 Yukon SLT and i am having some problems.

First of all the instructions are very vague, without much detail.
It does say to remove the Grill Shell, which after removing 6 viable screws along the top does loosen the grill enough that i can reach behind it to hopefully do the work, but i am wondering the whole thing can be pulled out.
It seem to be connected to the rest of the whole front facia.
I dont want to take the chance and break something.
The grill itself has 6 2 inch screws that fastens to the back of the grill, and pass through the existing grill and the you attach little clamps and screw on the back to hold it in place.
not rocket science i just dont have tons of room to work with.
Also the screw were not long enough so i went and bought a 4 foot bar of it from home depot and will have to cut later.

my last question is the GMC Emblem.
The grill does not have a cutout around it, and i am not sure if i want the grill to cover the Emblem, or if i should just remove the emblem.
With the Emblem in place it does force the Grill to bend and bow a bit.
it does feel like the Emblem is attached using some plugs, but since i can not see the back i am not sure if there is a way to remove it without breaking the Emblem? Is it possible?
I can get around 1mm clearance between the Emblem and the grill which i may use a small saw to cut through the plugs/pegs if necessary.

Anyway if anyone has any tips i appreciate it.

Jason!!!

PS: We have a 2009 Yukon SLT.

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You'll the grill is in the same "mold" as the rest of the fascia so you cannot just take off the grill. Just reach behind there like you mentioned to do the work. When I put my grill inserts in that's what I did. Not bad at all. You'll get your arm a little scratched up but that heals :shrug: :D

For the emblem, there should be some small nuts holding the emblem on. To get it off used a 10 mm socket. After just a couple of turns you should then be able to take the rest of the "nuts" off by hand.

OP
OP
J

jason_999

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks!

You'll the grill is in the same "mold" as the rest of the fascia so you cannot just take off the grill. Just reach behind there like you mentioned to do the work. When I put my grill inserts in that's what I did. Not bad at all. You'll get your arm a little scratched up but that heals :shrug: :D

For the emblem, there should be some small nuts holding the emblem on. To get it off used a 10 mm socket. After just a couple of turns you should then be able to take the rest of the "nuts" off by hand.

Thanks man, i will try tonight!
jason

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:High 5: Let us know how it turns out man and if you have any other questions just post up. I just did my inserts a month ago or so, so it's still fresh in my mind. :Handshake:

yates ™

Resident Apple hater
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is not bolts holding the emblem on anymore they are plastic clips (4 I think). It is tricky to do but take the plastic piece off above the grille and loosen the top bolts of the bumper. You can get your hands behind there and use pliers on the clips. Use a small mirror to see the clips. It is not the easiest emblem to remove but with patience it can be removed.

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is not bolts holding the emblem on anymore they are plastic clips (4 I think). It is tricky to do but take the plastic piece off above the grille and loosen the top bolts of the bumper. You can get your hands behind there and use pliers on the clips. Use a small mirror to see the clips. It is not the easiest emblem to remove but with patience it can be removed.

Did they change it between 07 and 09??

OP
OP
J

jason_999

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks Everyone!

:High 5: Let us know how it turns out man and if you have any other questions just post up. I just did my inserts a month ago or so, so it's still fresh in my mind. :Handshake:

Thanks everyone, i will try tonight!
and hopefully grab a pic as well.

jason

bauer4567

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my emblem on my 07 denali was retained with plastic clips.

Also, many insert manufacturers tell you to cut out the whole grille area. It doesnt just sit OVER the original grille.

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:hmm: interesting....then the emblem for the GMC is held on different than that of the Chevrolet. I'm surprised by that a little bit but I guess I should not be :D Some grills are meant to be bolt over (i.e. overlay) inserts, however.

David4Jesus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep Yukon Plastic, Chevy Bolts Id like to see a pic of which one he has to better help him unless he has already knocked this out. Burb you should do the small grilles over your tow hooks, I debated it and now am glad how sporty it looks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ne44035