Unable to open drivers door. Please Help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DenaliUlt23

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
If any experienced GM/Chevy techs: 2023 Yukon Denali Ultimate

Hello, Being the person I am, I will try to do everything myself before paying someone else or the dealership to do it. I replaced my drivers window due to some deep scratches. While doing so I was removing the panel and wire that is attached to the door handle came off. After looking closer it broke a small piece of the clip that is attached to the wire and ball/hinge. While putting everything back I figured the ball/hinge would slide into the socket and not come out by the way its supposed to function so I put the whole panel back together and closed the door while i was inside and the door wouldnt open from inside or outside. The door actuator is not the issue. I think the ball/hinge must of came off while putting the panel back on.

1. Has anyone here experienced this specific issue? How were you able to get inside the panel to get to the wire to open the door? You cannot come thru the top, there is a window seal and cups into the panel. Also you cannot get into it thru the outside door handle either.

2. If I have to bring this to the dealership, I am wondering what possible way they are able to get into the panel themselves without ripping the panel apart? My Car is still under warranty, is there any way I can try to pass this off to get covered by the dealership saying I dont know what happened?

Any help is much appreciated, Thank you!

IMG_5285.jpgIMG_5286.jpgIMG_5299.jpg

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Moved you here from the 2024+ General Discussion section.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Could you post larger pictures? I'm unable to zoom in without things getting fuzzy.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Hello, Being the person I am, I will try to do everything myself before paying someone else or the dealership to do it. I replaced my drivers window due to some deep scratches. While doing so I was removing the panel and wire that is attached to the door handle came off. After looking closer it broke a small piece of the clip that is attached to the wire and ball/hinge. While putting everything back I figured the ball/hinge would slide into the socket and not come out by the way its supposed to function so I put the whole panel back together and closed the door while i was inside and the door wouldnt open from inside or outside. The door actuator is not the issue. I think the ball/hinge must of came off while putting the panel back on.

1. Has anyone here experienced this specific issue? How were you able to get inside the panel to get to the wire to open the door? You cannot come thru the top, there is a window seal and cups into the panel. Also you cannot get into it thru the outside door handle either.

2. If I have to bring this to the dealership, I am wondering what possible way they are able to get into the panel themselves without ripping the panel apart? My Car is still under warranty, is there any way I can try to pass this off to get covered by the dealership saying I dont know what happened?

View attachment 432646View attachment 432647View attachment 432648
slim jim from harbor freight "might" work, maybe. otherwise if it is all backtogether normal and if you have bumper to bumper coverage still then the dealer can deal with it

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ditto on the warranty. Let them figure it out.
As for the DIY door stuff, I ALWAYS close the latch with a pen or screw driver after having the door panel off, replacing a handle, etc. You can make sure it works before getting yourself into a pickle

Trey Hardy

8” fabtech icon coilovers uniballs 24x14on35/15.50
Reaction score
Looks like you’ll just need a new cable assembly now getting the door open to get the panel off will be another battle on its own if warranty will cover it let them do it if not try the slim Jim route

OP
OP
D

DenaliUlt23

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Looks like you’ll just need a new cable assembly now getting the door open to get the panel off will be another battle on its own if warranty will cover it let them do it if not try the slim Jim route
I am still under bumper to bumper… only issue is i did not put back all the bolts on the panel. I can put back the top 3 i can get to but not the bottom two. Also that driver side window is not tinted since its brand new. I thought about bringing it in and just saying i got locked out but if the look into it and will notice that its been tampered with

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score

View attachment 432646View attachment 432647View attachment 432648
You can also take it to a local locksmith, and I'm pretty sure that they will be able to get it opened for you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dexmann1