Underhood Lighting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

05Single

afraid of the dark
Reaction score
Well for my luck it's good insurance. If I don't add lights I'll end up stranded on a dark back road here in Alaska in sub zero temps....but if I add lights I'll never break down lol:happy175:

Jason_S

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well for my luck it's good insurance. If I don't add lights I'll end up stranded on a dark back road here in Alaska in sub zero temps....but if I add lights I'll never break down lol:happy175:

I'm willing to bet AAA coverage is also a little spotty in Alaska.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will probably jinx myself by saying this, but I haven't found myself having to change an alternator, or other major component on the side of the road or in a parking lot before. At home, I have plenty of lighting options.

Besides, regardless of where your light is coming from, your hands, tools and/or head is in the way and blocking much of the light for where you are trying to see anyways.

Fortunately, I do not live where much of a chance of going that far below zero. In sub and near zero temps, I have found that surgical gloves make a surprising difference.
I used LED strips and wired them to my existing under hood light so they come on when the hood is opened. There's enough light coming from all directions to be able to take care of things. Total cost was less than $10. Works great.

IMG_6006.JPG

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I also used the same lights under my doors wired to my interior lights so they light up the ground when a door is opened.

IMG_5990.JPG

05Single

afraid of the dark
Reaction score
I used LED strips and wired them to my existing under hood light so they come on when the hood is opened. There's enough light coming from all directions to be able to take care of things. Total cost was less than $10. Works great.

View attachment 74077
All that light but didn't put a bulb in the oem housing :whymewhyme: lol jk

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All that light but didn't put a bulb in the oem housing :whymewhyme: lol jk
Actually, I lost the lens from the housing when I was doing that, and the LED bulb I had in there was only half working. So I bought a brand new OEM housing and new LED bulb. I'm a bit obsessive lol.:evil27:

05Single

afraid of the dark
Reaction score
Very bright but too much $$ for me, I'm cheap lol
I spent $2 on my set up.

David Paul

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Plus, isn't it dark up there like 20 hours a day during parts of the year.....lol