use the OEM backup cam with a new head unit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JKaechler

Reaction score
I have a 2011 Tahoe LT, it has the factory backup cam in the mirror, and it has Onstar (which does not work anymore)

I have successfully installed an android radio head unit, it talks to the canbus and gets signals for going into reverse, for the doors opening.
And it works for all the usual audio stuff.

It came with an adapter for the backup camera. this adapter is an RCA jack on one side, and what looks like the same connector as the radio on the other side. I assume this would move the backup camera view from the mirror to the head unit, which is what i would like to do. However, I cant figure out where to plug that adapter in?

I read that I should connect it to one of the plugs that is currently into the Onstar module? Except I dont know where the Onstar module is on this model.
Some people say you have to cut and splice into wiring, which i would like to avoid if i can.

I dont need any of the buttons on the mirror, and if I can make all else work, i plan to someday replace that mirror with a simple mirror that is only a mirror.

My search mojo must be weak today because i dont find much in the way of information about this issue, but i know i am not the only person who has tried to do this.
HELP!

P.S. As i TYpe this i realize there was an extra jack from the vehicle wiring harness that did not get used during the head unit install, but that was conected to the OEM radio... might that be it?

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The onstar module is located under your console switches/hvac/radio. There is a plastic surround that holds it in place.
Removing it takes a bit of squeezing, but you maybe able to pull the harness without removing if needed.
Deleting it completely requires you to splice two pairs of wires. (tan - tan) (tan/blk - tan/blk)

rearviewcam.png

warriah

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
P.S. As i TYpe this i realize there was an extra jack from the vehicle wiring harness that did not get used during the head unit install, but that was conected to the OEM radio... might that be it?

Was this connector hidden? I just recently did an install and I did not see this plug anywhere when removing original radio, to connect the camera adapter. So I just left it out and kept the mirror working.

Right now my screen is black when in reverse and the mirror still has its image.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dexmann1