Valley Cover, Crank Pulley, etc

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
07 Yukon Denali non-AFM 6.2L w/198k miles today
I'm finally getting around to changing the valley cover & gasket, oil pressure sender, crankshaft pulley & seal, and timing cover gasket. If the timing chain and/or tensioner are worn I'll change them, and the cam position sensor too. I've had these parts for over a year.
DSCN8394.JPG

OP
OP
donjetman

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@donjetman What else are you doing? Looks like you have your steering rack unbolted
Good eye.
In 2018 when we purchased it w/130k miles. I immediately installed a catch can, did TSB 10-06-01-008M including a new improved GM driverside valve cover, did a extra long piston combustion chamber soak, and installed relief valve deflector. All 8 cylinders had stuck piston rings. There was a lot of carbon buildup in the engine (see pics below). I also installed rear main seal with a new cover, and removed a cleaned out the oil pan, and installed an oil pump pickup tube o-ring.

At that time I cleaned the inside of the passenger side valve cover and the oil pan. I replaced with new the driver side VC and RMS cover. Now I've decided to clean & seal up the other dirty weepy areas I can get to.

I'm removing the oil pan again to see if the Valvoline Premium Blue "Restore" (20%) and Mobil 1 (80%) motor oil are doing any cleaning. VPB Restore oil was/is designed to clean. Don't confuse (off the market) VPB "Restore" with their new offering "Restore and Protect". They are completely different animals.

While its off I'll change the O-ring again. It's never had an oil pressure issue.

The stuff I'm doing I consider to be preventative mx for reliability when driving between our TX & CO mtn homes.

Here's what it looked like in 2018:
Yukon VC original.JPG
Yukon oil pan1.JPG
Yukon sparkie2.jpg
Yukon RMS cover.JPG
More to come soon :)

OP
OP
donjetman

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Today, 5+ yrs and 68k miles later at 198k miles, here's what the valve cover and oil pan look like. Valve covers are still clean and the oil pan had a little slushy carbonous material from the VPB "Restore" motor oil doing some cleaning, but was otherwise clean. The debris easily cleaned up with mineral spirits and a soft brush, wasn't stuck to the pan.
DSCN8382.JPG
DSCN8406.JPG
DSCN8410.JPG

DSCN8408.JPG
More to come soon

Bluewaffle

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Good eye.
In 2018 when we purchased it w/130k miles. I immediately installed a catch can, did TSB 10-06-01-008M including a new improved GM driverside valve cover, did a extra long piston combustion chamber soak, and installed relief valve deflector. All 8 cylinders had stuck piston rings. There was a lot of carbon buildup in the engine (see pics below). I also installed rear main seal with a new cover, and removed a cleaned out the oil pan, and installed an oil pump pickup tube o-ring.

At that time I cleaned the inside of the passenger side valve cover and the oil pan. I replaced with new the driver side VC and RMS cover. Now I've decided to clean & seal up the other dirty weepy areas I can get to.

I'm removing the oil pan again to see if the Valvoline Premium Blue "Restore" (20%) and Mobil 1 (80%) motor oil are doing any cleaning. VPB Restore oil was/is designed to clean. Don't confuse (off the market) VPB "Restore" with their new offering "Restore and Protect". They are completely different animals.

While its off I'll change the O-ring again. It's never had an oil pressure issue.

The stuff I'm doing I consider to be preventative mx for reliability when driving between our TX & CO mtn homes.

Here's what it looked like in 2018:
View attachment 430891
View attachment 430892
View attachment 430893
View attachment 430894
More to come soon :)
Are those Barnacles on the spark plugs

OP
OP
donjetman

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Changed out the 5+ yr young o-ring while I'm in there. It was still soft and pliable, but losing its round cross section shape. Installed a Mahle # B32790. Pickup screen was/is clean.
DSCN8414.JPG
DSCN8416.JPG
DSCN8402.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sammy123