vibration/shutter between 45-55mph??? help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jason22

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
ok, help me out if you can please. When driving the truck shifts great and rides great, until you get to between 45 and 55 mph. I can't tell if its a shutter shifting into overdrive, or maybe it needs plugs, or maybe something in the drive train. IT ONLY DOES IT WHEN BARELY ACCELERATING OR WHEN SPEED IS LEVELING OUT. if you drive quickly through 60 it has no issues. hopefully someone has had this happen before and fixed it. the only way i can describe the vibration is by saying it's almost like you're driving over road reflectors ....thanks

Physh1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you balanced your wheels/tires lately? Sounds like you could have thrown a weight.

Cameron

dwmmatt23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
X4. sometimes a shifted belt in tire and cause the same symptom, i think thats where im at with the same thing but weights is the first to check

OP
OP
J

jason22

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
i'm taking it in for an alignment next week after christmas, i'll get em balanced then. just thought it was weird that it only did it at that speed and only when slightly accelerating.

hambne

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Not sure but I found that dirty tranny fluid can cause the overdrive to kick in an out under normal driving.

Physh1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i'm taking it in for an alignment next week after christmas, i'll get em balanced then. just thought it was weird that it only did it at that speed and only when slightly accelerating.
Depends on how much weight it's off. A little weight can cause little shakes at high speeds. It's all about rotating mass & math I can't do @ 8am on Christmas Eve...lol...

When I had my new wheels & tires mounted the shop had poorly balances one wheel. It was fine until 60-65 and it wobbled...had it rebalanced & it was fine...off very very little.

OP
OP
J

jason22

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
i changed tranny filter and fluid today and it seemed to help a lot. i'm gonna get it professionally serviced/cleaned next week cuz i know i wasnt able to get every little bit out and cleaned.

hambne

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I dont know how much you wanna get involved and I did this on a forh foucud not on my burban yet but I bought 5 extra qt when I did the the focus but I drained cleaned and reinstalled the pan then I put the 5 qts in found the return line that goes to the radiator and disconnected that line where it went from rubber to the steel line. Had my wife start the car up and put the tranny in drive and reverse a few times. Be ready because the fluid in the pan is going to push the fluid out of the torque converter. Do this for about 30 to 45 seconds and reinstall the line. Beware since I had my wife in the car I had the e brake on and both rear wheeled chocked in front and rear. So becareful. I hope this helps.