Voltage drop at start up 2004 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hello everyone I have a 2004 Tahoe with about 135000 miles on it . It's got a ** alternator that charges at 15 volts I got an óptima yellow top in the front and an xs power d3100 in the back . A 3000 watt sound system anyways I've been noticing that when I start up the voltage drops to under 11 but the truck starts . When I start with the remote start the truck starts fine .

Has anyone else experienced this?

Could my starter be bad?

Is my electrical for my stereo messing something up?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance - Jordan

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

ccapehartusarmyINF.(ret)

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its possible a starter that is failing can cause an excessive current draw
first check all your battery terminals make sure there is no loose connections anywhere if thats good make sure yer yellow top is putting out at minimum 12.3 volts with the vehicle off and it hasnt been ran for an hour its possible to have a bad optima its happened to me
or you may have a high out put alternator but it still mite not be enough you need 208 amps at 14.4 volts for a 3000 watt system so to have enough left over for the vehicle you need like a 275 amp to 300 amp because if you stereo and vehicle draws more then what the alternator can put out it just takes it from the battery
also the only time that enourmous xs battery you have comes in handy is when the car is off so if you dont listen to the stereo with the car off all the time id get rid of it all its doing is putting an extra load on your system that you dont need

Last edited:
OP
OP
C
Reaction score
I do listen to the stereo with the car off not all the time but sometimes and I think it might be the starter because my alternator puts out 340 amps easily. The óptima rests at about 12.6-12.9 volts

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaintMiles

Latest posts