Water Pump

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TnTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck is leaking antifreeze but only when it sits up. And I have found that it is seeping out of the water pump. I figure I can just replace the metal gasket and o ring but how would I know if my water pump is going bad??

gcletsos

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
There is a small hole on the pump where the shaft runs through the housing. If the water is coming out of the hole then the bearings are shot and you need a new pump. That is usually where pumps fail.

NovaRacer

Reaction score
If it's leaking out of the weep hole, and its a cold water leak, it won't stop unless you replace the gasket and o-ring......but IMO, go ahead and replace it anyway....you are going to take it off to replace those parts, right? Might as well put a new, or rebuilt one back on it. That way, if the bearing is going out, you won't have to re-do it again later.

Depending on the miles, go ahead and replace the serp belt also.

My .02

WB

rich5368

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine did this. I changed the gaskets and no more leaky leaky. Shoulda gone ahead and changed the pump. I did it 6 months ago and my wife told me she had a puddle in the driveway today so I get to do it again

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chevy100