Weird Temp Actuator Problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Flavert

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2004 Yukon XL SLT Dual Electronic Temp Contol.

So, I've got the dreaded heat on passenger side up front but not on driver side problem. I've been reading forums till my eyes started bleeding and I haven't seen my problem discussed. So here we go. About a year ago I had the heat out of the upper vents on passenger side, A/C out of the drivers side problem. Turn the truck off, turn it back on and the problem usually cleared. I replaced the Temp blend door actuator (the one on the passenger side just above the hump) with a Dorman 604-111 and all was well. Once or twice over the past summer I had the passenger heat, driver A/C problem, but it was only like two times so I didn't worry about it.

This past Friday it was cold and I took the truck on a trip North. I noticed that me feet were freezing and discovered that there was cold air coming out of the lower drivers side, heat everywhere else including the back. So, I tried the calibration reset; pulled the HVAC fuse, disconnected the battery, etc. Didn't fix it. So then I pulled the Dorman actuator. It wasn't making any clicking noises. I opened it up, the gears looked good, so I cleaned the electrical wiper under the main drive gear. I reinstalled it and did a reset.

Here's the weird part, the actuator goes through it's full motion test during the calibration cycle and then won't move no matter what I set the controls to. So, is this an actuator problem or something else? Like I said, I haven't seen this discussed.

Thanks,
Rick L.

chauncey0337

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is more than one actuator. I believe there is one for hot/cold, one for defrost/vents, one for driver/passenger if equipped with dual climate control and maybe another one for recirc/fresh air. Your problem may be the defrost/vent actuator.

03z71chevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is true. There are 4 actuators in the dash as described above. I just replaced the passenger side actuator on mine which is the worst to get to.

If I am reading your post right it sounds like your drivers side temperature is the problem. That actuator is the one below the dash on the passenger side. If that is the one you checked and it cycles through when calibrating it could still be bad. These do not seem to go out suddenly and rather die slowly.

Dogman_1969

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have the same issue. My Yukon XL is an 2004 and has the center console. Do I need to pull the entire center console out and if so does the seats need to come out to do so? Any help would be great. You guys sure do make owning my Yukon a blast. It has 126K miles and I still love it.

chacho44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On my esv my heat only works on 90, 89 and it will come out cold. Same when ac is on its the same from 60-89, I like the 70-72 mark but its basically the ac. Idk what this is or where to start off with. Basically during winter time either I have it on 90 at all time, and summer ifs like its on 60 at all ti.e even though I can put it on 89 and it will still be cold.

tights24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On my esv my heat only works on 90, 89 and it will come out cold. Same when ac is on its the same from 60-89, I like the 70-72 mark but its basically the ac. Idk what this is or where to start off with. Basically during winter time either I have it on 90 at all time, and summer ifs like its on 60 at all ti.e even though I can put it on 89 and it will still be cold.

Sorry for bringing up an old thread but did you ever get this issue fixed? I'm having the same problem. That and the defroster works when it wants to. At one point only the passenger side defroster was blowing warm....

Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhrusso925