What battery brand & installing?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

West1

Reaction score
I have a 21 Tahoe and a 15” FI Audio sub.
I’m about due for a new battery and curious what brand people are using. My go to XS Power doesn’t make a battery for us… yet.
AGM battery is preferred.

Also, I read it needs technical assistance when installing? Is this a sales pitch or is there some type of code reset that’s needed?
Trying to prevent having a dead car at home because I know how to swap a battery.

Thanks in advance!

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will defer to owners of your model year for excellent advice.

As far as I know (not an expert on your model year) AGM batteries will work for your model year. Regarding installation, I would remove the battery terminals, touch them together to discharge any of the many capacitors in the truck's electronics, and then I would hook up the new battery.

OP
OP
W

West1

Reaction score
Holy smokes, was quoted 832.77 for a battery replacement (DieHard agm battery included).

Has anyone upgraded their battery yet (2021+ models)?

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get the numbers off your battery and replace with the exact same in a good brand. These charging systems are pretty high tech and don't seem to like changes. And I hooked up a standby battery to keep all systems powered up while changing. Shop around and find the freshest battery possible on the shelf. I had a Delco put in our '19 at our dealer and they put in a battery that was 8 months old and a smaller size. Way different charging action than the OE battery. I replaced that one myself, lesson learned.

OP
OP
W

West1

Reaction score
Get the numbers off your battery and replace with the exact same in a good brand. These charging systems are pretty high tech and don't seem to like changes. And I hooked up a standby battery to keep all systems powered up while changing. Shop around and find the freshest battery possible on the shelf. I had a Delco put in our '19 at our dealer and they put in a battery that was 8 months old and a smaller size. Way different charging action than the OE battery. I replaced that one myself, lesson learned.
I took my truck to AutoZone and they said my battery is good, just needs a charge.

So I ordered a ctek 7002 to trickle charge.
In the meantime, it gives me time to shop around for a battery.

What do you mean by look at the battery number? Do you mean the group size?

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The best way to solve this problem the quickest and easiest is to go to Sam's club and buy the best AGM they have and have them install it. They do all the work you're out of there in 30 to 45 minutes and you have as good a warranty as any on the market. It isn't worth sweating and hassling over the details of what battery is better than the other one anymore. Have them throw a new one in and move on.....

Trey Hardy

8” fabtech icon coilovers uniballs 24x14on35/15.50
Reaction score
I have a 21 Tahoe and a 15” FI Audio sub.
I’m about due for a new battery and curious what brand people are using. My go to XS Power doesn’t make a battery for us… yet.
AGM battery is preferred.

Also, I read it needs technical assistance when installing? Is this a sales pitch or is there some type of code reset that’s needed?
Trying to prevent having a dead car at home because I know how to swap a battery.

Thanks in advance!
For car audio lithium battery’s are the way to go longest lasting and best performance
Xs power lithium cells are said to last up to 10 years
They should have a case battery that’ll fit under the hood but my buddy’s have swapped/deleted the battery for a setup like this?hash=857771e32a33d51651ea3f1a56f31f0b.pngIMG_4141.jpegyou will need a big 3 upgrade along with a voltage regulator all new 0g wire a acrylic case for it to sit in and that should be it. Of course a bigger alternator is also an easier option and could be used with this setup as well but the stock one can hold up I do believe.
For my system 6 is plenty I have a 2500watt and plan to put a 800w on the doors but my buddy in the pic is close to 20,000 watts so he has like 12 of the lithium cells in his setup

Attachments

• IMG_5336.png
    IMG_5336.png
    823.9 KB · Views: 1
OP
OP
W

West1

Reaction score
For car audio lithium battery’s are the way to go longest lasting and best performance
Xs power lithium cells are said to last up to 10 years
They should have a case battery that’ll fit under the hood but my buddy’s have swapped/deleted the battery for a setup like thisView attachment 430968View attachment 430967you will need a big 3 upgrade along with a voltage regulator all new 0g wire a acrylic case for it to sit in and that should be it. Of course a bigger alternator is also an easier option and could be used with this setup as well but the stock one can hold up I do believe.
For my system 6 is plenty I have a 2500watt and plan to put a 800w on the doors but my buddy in the pic is close to 20,000 watts so he has like 12 of the lithium cells in his setup

Sweet!
My biggest concern is adding stuff and possibly opening a can of worms of codes due to new stuff not liking third party stuff. From what I gather, it’s not as easy as my old setup w/2nd battery, ** alt, big4, dual 0ga to amp with copper terminals all around.

The new car electronics is what I fear so I’m trying to see who has worked on 2021+ models.

Trey Hardy

8” fabtech icon coilovers uniballs 24x14on35/15.50
Reaction score
Sweet!
My biggest concern is adding stuff and possibly opening a can of worms of codes due to new stuff not liking third party stuff. From what I gather, it’s not as easy as my old setup w/2nd battery, ** alt, big4, dual 0ga to amp with copper terminals all around.

The new car electronics is what I fear so I’m trying to see who has worked on 2021+ models.
Yea I ain’t worked on the new stuff only 99-13 body style and one 2015

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
demondave