What did you do to your NNBS GMT900 Tahoe/Yukon Today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So far so good. There’s a lot I would change but for the price it’s hard to beat. CONS: Ive had to play with the eq to get sound right. Without eq adjustment sound was a bit muddy on Bluetooth. Radio sounded fine. I don’t like that it has changed my blinker sound. I don’t really care for the the wood grain bezel but that’s my fault. I don’t like that the bezel is only held in by the bottom five clips. The top clips have nowhere to go with the old head unit removed. (EDIT: Just found mounting hardware meant to be anchor points for those clips. So that is no longer a con, just me not being thorough.) It’s holding fine, only has the slightest bit of play, but Florida summers are brutal on plastic so we’ll see how it fairs.
PROS: Now that I’ve got the sound dialed in it sounds great. MUCH louder than the old unit. Screen is very responsive and looks great. Bluetooth connection seems consistently solid. Phone calls sound like phone calls but I can hear and am easily heard so that’s all I’m really looking for there. I expected an absolute nightmare install but it honestly could not have been easier. To quote a great man, super easy, barely an inconvenience. So far it’s playing well with the Bose system. It shipped with a backup camera, which I did not realize. I haven’t hooked that up yet but if everything continues to track the way it has so far I expect to be happy with it.
For the money I spent I’m pretty damn happy right now. But this is day one. lol.
Link for it?

Writefast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is the one I bought recently after my Candi module stopped being recognized by my Tech 2.

VDIAGTOOL Bidirectional Scan Tool VD70: 2024 Newest Car Scanner Diagnostic Tool with ECU Coding, 36+ Resets, OE Full System Scan, CAN FD & DoIP, Crank Sensor Relearn, 3 Years Updates https://a.co/d/a0aglFF

I am happy with it so far although I haven't used it a ton. Reviews are good on it and reasonably priced I thought.
Is this a reasonable tool for a not-mechanic or driveway-mechanic to own?

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score

I think that statement applies to most everyone on this forum.

While there are probably a few "certified" mechanics on this forum, I would say the majority of us are just certifiable... lol

If you are like me and like to do your own stunts, then I would say it is an invaluable tool to have.

Grady_Wilson

Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are a lot of scan tools out there that all pretty much do the same stuff.
I think the one in the link has 3 years of updates included in the price.
Some scanners have lifetime updates, I would look for one of those.

When I bought my Launch scanner it had 2 years of updates.
After that two years was up, I checked on what an update subscription would cost and it was almost the price of a new scanner for one year of updates.
The newest Launch scanners had lifetime updates, so I was going to buy a new model.
For grins, I checked to see if my scanner would update ( I didn't figure it would ) and what do you know, it updated and added a ton of new features and updated the software for all of the vehicles I had setup for initially.
My guess is there was quite a backlash that the previous gen scanners didn't have the same lifetime updates and they grandfathered in the older ones.

Just something to think about.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score

if you're only working on these older gm's, the clone tech 2 is probably the best bang for the buck and a known tool. so many different models of all these new tablet based scanner, hard to say what's good for what money. seems one number or letter in a model number can make a huge differences, or none.

as for diy or pro mechanic. honestly most aren't very good, because being good doesn't make them money. being fast at swapping parts makes them money. if you have a place to work on your truck, some free time and care enough to learn and ask some questions. there's a 90% chance the repairs you do are going to be better then what the "pro" does.

Charlie207

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A couple folks came by yesterday to buy my 5.3 for a project, to go in an early-90s 2wd Tacoma. Luckily, my neighbor was around with his big tractor and a pallet, and just lifted it all into the bed of the dually. Otherwise, we were going to have to get creative with a 2-ton engine hoist and some manpower.

$500 richer, for like 4 minutes before I paid some bills. But hey, I freed up some basement space.

t3ta5lz.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hawkeye1