What did you do to your NNBS GMT900 Tahoe/Yukon Today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RooTBeeRthe1st

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Took a vid of the new starter sound. I'm convinced it's spinning the engine faster. It starts a little quicker. Supposedly, it's only a 1kw motor:

After I cleaned all my battery connections and got the new starter battery put in, mine sounds about like that, but I'm still going to put the new 1.7 KW in sooner or later.

RooTBeeRthe1st

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally finished the evaporator core cleaning and cabin filter retrofit-

Bought a piece of 16" thin PVC pipe (some kind of pre-made sink connector piece) then softened it with the heat gun to flatten it. Ugly but very functional. Taped it to the shop vac with painter's tape cuz that was the first tape I could get my hands on and I didn't have many fcuks left to give with this project:

View attachment 412105

View attachment 412106

Still looks gross but it's a lot better than what it was and I was over leaning into the floorboard at this point:

View attachment 412102

Holding filter in place for the pic:

Closure installed.

I left the blower on high with all vents closed except for the one on the far right of the dash so I could reach it to feel. I didn't notice any excessive reduction in volume out of the vent. Doesn't matter, it's done. Spent most of the time getting that screw in front of the subwoofer installed.
I put the filter in mine many moons ago, but I still get this very dirty smell switching between AC and vent.
Need to clean the evaporator one of these days.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After I cleaned all my battery connections and got the new starter battery put in, mine sounds about like that, but I'm still going to put the new 1.7 KW in sooner or later.

My Big 5 upgrade didn't seem to make any difference in the starting. This new one looks the same as the old, just new. Either it's stronger internally or the old one worked and sounded like this way back when it was new. It's doing fine for only drawing ~90 amps.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put the filter in mine many moons ago, but I still get this very dirty smell switching between AC and vent.
Need to clean the evaporator one of these days.

Might need to remove the blower and the cowl trim and clean all the crud from in there. Mine has some pine needles on the screen. Nothing like broad leaves sitting there and blocking flow and holding moisture. I just pulled out the pine needles that were poking through the screen. I wasn't in the mood to remove the trim piece.

IMG_8320.JPG

Reaction score
Finally finished the evaporator core cleaning and cabin filter retrofit-

Bought a piece of 16" thin wall PVC pipe (some kind of pre-made sink connector piece) then softened it with the heat gun to flatten it. Ugly but very functional. Taped it to the shop vac with painter's tape cuz that was the first tape I could get my hands on and I didn't have many fcuks left to give with this project:

View attachment 412105

View attachment 412106

Still looks gross but it's a lot better than what it was and I was over leaning into the floorboard at this point:

View attachment 412102

Holding filter in place for the pic:

View attachment 412103

Closure installed.

View attachment 412104

I left the blower on high with all vents closed except for the one on the far right of the dash so I could reach it to feel. I didn't notice any excessive reduction in volume out of the vent. Doesn't matter, it's done. Spent most of the time getting that screw in front of the subwoofer installed.
I don't remove that screw, just loosen it. Still allows the cover to be rotated/swung out of the way

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It almost sounds like a starter from a 6.2, like mine

It does! I don't see why the 6.2 would have a different starter, so it probably is the same. I think I've just gone for so long with a worn-out starter and most every other GMT800 and '900 I hear has an aged and ailing one that I've always thought that's just how they were.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't remove that screw, just loosen it. Still allows the cover to be rotated/swung out of the way

I didn't wanna work in the floorboard with that cover there. I had my chimp self, my tools and a large LED work light already competing for space. Lesson learned! I'd rather fight the cover than fight that screw.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pbruton89