What did you do to your NNBS GMT900 Tahoe/Yukon Today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I would have to build a cardboard funnel behind it to get a accurate reading. i haven't bought one yet either just thinking,,,,,,,,
Why a cardboard funnel? You don't drive down the road with a cardboard funnel taped to the front of the truck do you?

Simulate driving down the highway.
Box fan set to same speed during both tests. Place grill like a foot away during each test and take reading like a foot behind the grill.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the ambient air temp will update after 5 miles of driving, particularly if you are unplugging and messing with it, go drive it at least 5 miles and check again
if you suspect it is faulty, replace it they do get brittle and break easily from being exposed to the elements

that's the thing, I didn't touch the actual ambient Air temp sensor thats behind the grill. I only unplugged the maf plug and plugged it back in. then the ambient temp on the scanner crashed to 14F. which is a very odd. default. it is slowly coming back thou. it was up to 21deg by the time I got home from work, way more than 5 miles thou.

this is scanner/tech 2 ambient Air temp, not the actual ambient Air temp displayed on the hvac display. that one actually follows the behind the grill sensors. I tested tested that yesterday.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
got my most recent oil analysis back, I think the last one they handed me a sample from someone elses vehicle because they said it looked like a 6000 mile oil change and the viscosity was off.
hopefully this means my cam is probably ok
View attachment 431689

Blackstone sells a nice little hand pump that goes down the dip stick to get a sample. we have one at work, it might be worth while if you're not sure the guys at the shop are doing it right. it really show be taken while up to temp and from mid drain.

eaiser to just shut it off and pump out an ounce at home.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I think there's more than just the surface area of the holes involved in the match when air flow modeling is involved. something like the faster air flow, the more it can shroud itself.

something I read years about about a 2 valve head vs a 4 valve head. the 2 smaller valves have much more surface area for flow at lower speeds and lifts, but once the air speed gets up for high rpm, the center of the valves the air flow shrouds itself and one large valve can flow just as much air.

they had graphs and all to show it on a flow bench. not that I can say they were telling the truth or not. I have a 4 valve engine that shifts at 14k. but just what I read. I can imagine at high speeds, say 70mph the small hole grill flowing much less than the wider slats. at least in my head. especially if the slat angle is correct where the small hole grill lays back more, the slates form a air dam on the way up and over the hood.

Grady_Wilson

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Blackstone sells a nice little hand pump that goes down the dip stick to get a sample. we have one at work, it might be worth while if you're not sure the guys at the shop are doing it right. it really show be taken while up to temp and from mid drain.

eaiser to just shut it off and pump out an ounce at home.
Or install a Fumoto valve and connect a short hose to the oil sample container and fill it, close the valve.
EZPZ

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Why a cardboard funnel? You don't drive down the road with a cardboard funnel taped to the front of the truck do you?

Box fan set to same speed during both tests. Place grill like a foot away during each test and take reading like a foot behind the grill.

I think there's more than just the surface area of the holes involved in the match when air flow modeling is involved. something like the faster air flow, the more it can shroud itself.

something I read years about about a 2 valve head vs a 4 valve head. the 2 smaller valves have much more surface area for flow at lower speeds and lifts, but once the air speed gets up for high rpm, the center of the valves the air flow shrouds itself and one large valve can flow just as much air.

No math needed, except for a ruler (not your wife kind of ruler...). See @Geotrash's post. Apples-to-apples comparison. EZPZ

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score

because i may be placing the meter in a sweet spot with the open slats, a better test would involve a more controlled environment. If i build a funnel to about a 4" hole then I can get a reading for either one more accurately. I have plenty of cardboard and tape.
I personally think the slots will catch more air but that's just my brain seeing big open slots versus small holes

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rosun1