What is the hub and bearing of choice?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
D

dkad260

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Timkens are made in China. Pay the extra bucks and get OEM. I’ve tried every bearing, by far OEM is best choice. There is a Kryptonite Company giving lifetime warranty on bearings but they’re not cheap…
I agree OEM is the way to go, but...since they are installed, I'm going to keep on rollin... :cool: I have had good luck with Timken in the past, but this is my first swap on a GMT900.

I did verify the QR code and they were authentic. Also, since the boxes didn't have the holographic security seal as I remember in years past, I called Timken to further verify and they said they don't use the sticker anymore, at least for my bearings.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I installed a Carquest hub recently. It was made in Korea, which I believe is also where the OEM hubs are made. Same factory? Dunno, but it's a well-finished part and no problems with the tone ring so far.

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had read somewhere that Timken and SKF were OE suppliers.

I got SKF x-trackers recommended by someone on the board (made in Korea). They are not OEM design, but are supposed to have less deflection, yet they are not made for heavy duty trucks. Reading here (https://www.cadillacforums.com/threads/upgraded-front-wheel-bearings-skf-x-tracker.233892/), it sounds like they maybe better for cornering loads, but I'm guessing the ball bearings can't take as much weight/abuse as the original roller bearings.

Sounds like the same/similar design as these

Figured I'd try 'em out, only time will tell..

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the Timken box says Made in USA they're good, if it says Made in China just return them.

That was one thing I did check for, thanks for the heads up. :thumbsup:

View attachment 399405

Timkens are made in China. Pay the extra bucks and get OEM. I’ve tried every bearing, by far OEM is best choice. There is a Kryptonite Company giving lifetime warranty on bearings but they’re not cheap…

I agree OEM is the way to go, but...since they are installed, I'm going to keep on rollin... :cool: I have had good luck with Timken in the past, but this is my first swap on a GMT900.

I did verify the QR code and they were authentic. Also, since the boxes didn't have the holographic security seal as I remember in years past, I called Timken to further verify and they said they don't use the sticker anymore, at least for my bearings.

Amazon says made in China, bought one anyway the other day and it just arrived:

20230518_174341.jpg

Made in USA baby!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rnfernandez1968