What is your favorite PC based OBD-2 Scanner?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

99Vortec

Reaction score
I've been looking at some different models, but am very interested in what the users here find to be the most useful as far as features are concerned.

My laptop does support a Bluetooth connection, and I have been eyeing this one with the GM enhanced add-on pack...

http://www.scantool.net/obdlink-mx.html

It's a shame that the bi-directional hand held units are so expensive.

Are all of the pc based models non bi-directional?

I've checked out my vin# at https://tis2web.service.gm.com/tis2web and there are a few bulletins (SHOUTING IN ALL CAPSLOCK lol.) But that flashing is out of my reach without dealer services and or a tech2 and 3 day subscription....

Anyways, I'm really fascinated by this mix of technology and machinery that the Vortec uses and would like to learn/see more.

Thanks.

On a side note, I managed to pass smog inspection today!
Was a little nervous as I had recently pulled the intake for a gasket and fuel injection upgrade.

Last edited:
OP
OP
99Vortec

99Vortec

Reaction score
I forgot to mention that I need win8.0 64 bit os support.

I'm not sure how well these devices might function under a guest operating system setup if I need to.

Last edited:

ccapehartusarmyINF.(ret)

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oh and the only real elm 327 is the one made by BAFX all the others are clones i recomend using android torque is a little better windows 8 phones use OBD doctor and its a little qwerky

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
Efilive claims to be able to do bi-directional at least in the aspect of the case relearn function. application from 1998-2000. I am sure they have a lot more controls that are bidirectional but call and ask them.

I will be using there stuff soon. I have scanxl pro but it is not bi-directional sort of. the hardware interface I have is. The software has no controls integrated with there software but you can use the console function to send commands directly to the pcm but you have to know the exact coding to send otherwise it will not work or goof something.

---------- Post added at 02:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:07 PM ----------

How about telling us what may be wrong that you need to do work on it.

OP
OP
99Vortec

99Vortec

Reaction score
My Yukon Denali is a brand new vehicle for me. My other vehicles are much older technology. So this is an interesting learning experience for me. And it is proving to be a lot of fun!

When I first got it, coolant was leaking from the water pump and the composite intake gasket.

I started reading up and and decided to do the "Spider" upgrade at the same time.

(That Plenum cover sure has a tight fit for removal and installation.)

As I was preparing to remove the distributor wires and cap/rotor, the distributor moved just slightly.

Turns out, someone had installed the hold down clamp incorrectly and only one tab was properly holding down the dizzy.

So I marked it carefuly and then removed it.

The upgrade went smoothly, but the distributor mark I made was just a bit off as the base had rotated ever so slightly. On startup I believe it triggered the ckp error, but couldn't know for sure as I don't have a scanner yet.

I got lucky though, someone had made a previous mark on the back of the distributor/manifold that I was able to see with an inspection mirror.

Moved the distributor just slightly to match up the old marks, and it started and ran perfectly with no "Service engine" light.

At this point I am mainly interested in real-time monitoring, but might want to delve a little deeper into the ecu's operations. Not to mention a scanner would have made setting the "CAM_RETARD" (Is it called?) within +/- 2 degrees a lot easier. (Damn they made that distributor hard to get at up against the firewall...) :banghead:

I've also got some intermittent problem going on with the 4x4 setup. (Issue's with the lights not working properly sometimes.) I'm possibly looking at a transfer case control module, encoder motor, or switch problem. (Or basic bad wire problem.) Be nice to be able to pull some codes from the tcase control module if they are there. (Or is this Tech2 only feature?)

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
Well if the light went out for good then you are within the 4 percent margin so just leave it. No need to twiddle with it unless the light comes back. I put mine in and I got within it within 0.5° and that was just monitoring it after the install. No adjustments made. I would look into a bad 4wd selector case first. May not even need a scan of it until you see the service 4wd light come on.

chaingun427

OBS Mad Scientist
Reaction score
i'm in the market for a scan tool as well that can help me monitor the engine as well as to help me set the needles on my cluster where they belong, either PC or android. any suggestions?

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
The same. You can get there interface and software for about $450 I think and when ready you can add a few more hundred bucks and get I license to tune it as well.

OP
OP
99Vortec

99Vortec

Reaction score
I think you are right about a bad 4wd selector case, SunlitComet.

It started messing around again today, and I tapped on the top of it and it lit up properly.

Opening up my dash scares me more than opening up the motor...

Is it relatively easy, or very fragile?:superhack:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Csides