What type of box to build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blk88

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So I was originally going to put my 2-JL 10w6's in the rear 1/4 panels. I've decided that if I went that route it would be quite a while before I actually completed it so I'm going to build a mdf box. I mainly listen to rock music. i.e. Korn, Chevelle, Trapt, Incubus, etc. My old box was in the extra cab of my S-10...small sealed box. It sounded awesome. Now being in a much larger cargo space I was contemplating a ported box. My concern is that I don't want the bass to roll too much. With the music I listen to there isn't much rolling bass. Most of it is tight and hard hitting bass. Should I build a larger sealed box or a smaller ported box? I've never put subs in a large vehicle before. I was thinking maybe a box similar to this JL box. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks!

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_enclosures_pages.php?menu=2&page_id=19

blueflamed03

Supporting Member
Reaction score
small sealed. The W0's are the smaller powered version, so I wouldnt run them ported.

OP
OP
B

blk88

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have the 10w6's, not the W0's.

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_subs.php?series_id=6

I should add a little more info. They will be powered by a JL 500.1 amp and I'm trying to keep the box(s) relatively small. After I got my Tahoe I'm surprised how many times I've had the back of it full of stuff.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

blk88

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So what you are saying is build the box to the sub and not the vehicle?

blueflamed03

Supporting Member
Reaction score
actually both.

First, you need to see the mnaufactures specs, for that sub and build accordingly.
Second, is look "how can I use that box to maximize for my particular vehicle"

For all out, woofers up, ports back. For looks, less output, but looks great, woofers and port facing rear.

97loudho

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
i always do subs up port back in SUVs but i would definitely port them. tunning in the 40-42hz range seemed to be popular for rock music on the builds i done for my military buddies

OP
OP
B

blk88

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
What about a band pass box? I'm really struggling on the type of box to build. I haven’t built many boxes and want to make sure I build the right one for the size of cabin space the Tahoe’s have. I might just stick with the slotted ported box on the owner’s manual information that blueflamed03 posted. I've even thought of selling the 2 10's and getting 1 JL 13TW5 and building a box to go under the driver seat.

blueflamed03

Supporting Member
Reaction score
bandpass is huge!

I like the dual slot ported box, with the power you have, will be the biggest output.

drowndindreams

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you should build a dual chamber ported box, and build some caps that will cover the ports when you want tight bass. i bought a box like that and am happy with it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CHKSTR96