What type of spark plug for 5.3?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brewcity

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys...new to the 5.3, and need a tune up (106,000). I have been searching for about 3 days now, and need to know what type of spark plug I need for my 2001 5.3? There is a lot of conflicting reports.
Some say A/C Delco Platinum..others say ACDelco 41-110 Professional Iridium (gapped at .040), some say get the NGK (dont know the part number for these)...which make the A/C Delco plugs. VERY confusing.
A/C Delco's website says Platinum 41-962. If platinum, is the gap at .060 or .040?
Can someone please let me know what spark plug I need, the gap, and a part number please?
Also...is Iridium really a better choice? Does it help these older 5.3 engines to run them? I read that it makes the 5.3 engine idle and run rougher.
Should I just stick to stock...or is this now what GM says IS stock? SOOOOO confused.
Thanks SOOOOO much for the help! I truly appreciate it.

---------- Post added at 10:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:09 AM ----------

Well guys...I just found this bulletin from A/C Delco, so looks like I am going with the Platinum ones (gapped at .040) for my 2001 5.3L:

ACDelco announces that 2006 and older, as well as some 2007, spark plug service applications covered by the iridium spark plug 41-110 have moved to the platinum plug 41-962. For the older model years, GM used a double platinum spark plug in production, and these older applications are to be serviced with the double platinum plug 41-962. 2007 and newer applications used iridium plugs in production and service requirements will remain assigned to the iridium plug 41-110. Both plugs meet original equipment specifications for the applications designated".

I hope this helps anyone that was as confused as I was with all of this.

Last edited:

ezdaar

Chat Troll
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let me simplify this for you.
Iridium plugs are for dolts who don't maintenance their vehicles. We however take pride and love diddling with our rides.
The dealerships had to come up with a way to make the plugs last the same life span as the power train warranty. They simply got tired of changing millions of plugs. So they created iridium.
Iridium plugs last a hella long time but with a poorly running engine aka oil consumption. They corrode and burn out rapidly.
Frack that expensive nonsense :)

Save a shot ton of cash, say no to iridium dumb dumb plugs and get ngk 4177 copper core plugs.
You will spend a whopping 16$ on a full set.

Change them every oil change or two. They are cheap enough and you will always have fresh plugs and a engine that runs steong with no bs misfires due to a corroded plug.

Ngk 4177

Tell the Moran behind the counter to stfu and get the plugs, because he will argue that they don't work in your engine. Which is false.

Ngk 4177

No more confusion..

Hahahah now that's a sales pitch!

Last edited:

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let me simplify this for you.
Iridium plugs are for dolts who don't maintenance their vehicles. We however take pride and love diddling with our rides.
The dealerships had to come up with a way to make the plugs last the same life span as the power train warranty. They simply got tired of changing millions of plugs. So they created iridium.
Iridium plugs last a hella long time but with a poorly running engine aka oil consumption. They corrode and burn out rapidly.
Frack that expensive nonsense :)

Save a shot ton of cash, say no to iridium dumb dumb plugs and get ngk 4177 copper core plugs.
You will spend a whopping 16$ on a full set.

Change them every oil change or two. They are cheap enough and you will always have fresh plugs and a engine that runs steong with no bs misfires due to a corroded plug.

Ngk 4177

Tell the Moran behind the counter to stfu and get the plugs, because he will argue that they don't work in your engine. Which is false.

Ngk 4177

No more confusion..

Hahahah now that's a sales pitch!

Well that certainly clears that up.

YukonXL04

The Riverboat
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmm... I think I caught that lecture today too! lol

What gap on those NGKs?

Thanks man!

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hrm. I used to run bigger gaps on my camaro with MSD blaster coil and it really seemed to like that. I might play with the gap a bit to see how this old girl likes that.

Anybody else running a larger plug gap? Looks like .060 used to be recommended.

ezdaar

Chat Troll
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The more potential spark energy from high out put ignition systems, the wider the gap can be.
But....
Wide gaps also burn out faster, leading to "worn plug missfire" Alot sooner.

Back in the day, I would use a jewelers file to square and sharpen my ground electrodes. As well as indexing the plugs..
It increases potential spark area substantially as electricity likes to jump from sharp edges more than round edges.
This made a pretty big change in Small displacement engines like motorcycles, lawn trimmers etc. But not so much in modern big displacement engines.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tahoe nate