What would be cheaper

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Zigger21

Reaction score
Running our garage heater at 55 degrees or run the auto-start for ten minutes with the garage door open a 1/4 of the way when it is -20 degrees out. Our garage is attached to the house and stays at 30 degrees from the house heat alone.

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Explain exactly what you are trying to accomplish.

OP
OP
Zigger21

Zigger21

Reaction score
Im trying to find out whats more cost effective to have the vehicles start up at 55 degrees or auto start at 30 degrees with the garage door open a 1/4 of the way to let the exhaust fumes exhume. Whats easier on the vehicles and what is more cost effective. I work on my vehicles and 55-60 is a good temp to work on them. Heating it from 30 to 55 takes more NG than it would if it was already at that temp/ Dumb question Im just trying to save $.

Last edited:

mizzouguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you just doing this so you can walk out to a warm truck in the am? If so, a plug in heater set at 55 would be better. Easier starting and no risk of co2 poisoning. Plus that -20 air wouldn't be getting into the garage for 10 mins, costing you more to heat your house. An even better option would be a block heater, but I don't know what you are going for here.

Martinjmpr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would never run the engine for any length of time if you have an attached garage. Having the door open doesn't help much since IIRC CO is lighter than air anyway.

I sometimes run our cars for ~ 10 minutes in the garage with the door closed if it's a REALLY cold morning - but we have a detached garage so if the mice or bugs get gassed out, it doesn't bother me.

If you have a heater with a timer I suppose you could set it to start heating up an hour or so before you plan on going out to the garage.

Is this for working on your vehicles or just driving them on a cold morning? If it's for driving, I'd agree with what was said above: Block heater.

Don't all cars in ND have block heaters anyway? :D

I know when I lived in WY it was rare to see a vehicle that didn't have one.

BigDaddy13440

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have an attached garage, NEVER run your vehicle longer than enough to start it up, open the garage door, and drive out.

If your garage is already at 30 degrees, that's plenty warm enough to guarantee that it'll start. It might not be toasty warm inside the vehicle for 5 minutes until it heats up, but you'll have no issues with exhaust fumes.

I'd run the heater at 40 degrees during the winter, and turn it up if you are going to work on anything. Any snow left on your vehicle when you pull it back into the garage will melt off at 40 degrees in a matter of minutes.

1999hoe

aka HOVERHOE
Reaction score
Get an exhaust vent and cut a hole attach a hose to the exhaust ....you can run it inside as long as you want that way

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SBRKPRO