What's the axle ratio?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

woolbrig

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I bought a 2010 Yukon SLT 4WD (with SLT-2) a couple a weeks ago and I'm trying to figure out the options I have. Specifically want to know the axle ratio.

When I looked at the RPO Code it shows GU4 (3.08 ratio).

It also has the RPO code Z82 (HD Trailering Equipment).

In the 2010 Yukon brochure, it states the following:
Heavy-Duty Trailering Package - Includes auxiliary external transmission oil cooler and external engine oil cooler. Includes 3.42 rear axle ratio and requires Vortec 5.3L V-8 FlexFuel engine with Active Fuel Management (AFM) on Yukon models. Not available on 3/4-ton XL models.

So which do I have 3.08 or 3.42? Is there another way to determine the gear ratio?

I tow a travel trailer so I'm trying to determine if I need to put in a lower gear ratio.

One other question... If I replace the gears in the rear end, do the gears in the front need to be replaced as well?

Thanks,
Joe

ScottL4619

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure on the first question, although, I would guess that if you had the 3.42 gears, the RPO code would reflect that.

On the second question, yes, you will need to change both sets of gears if you ever want to use 4 wheel drive again.

OP
OP
W

woolbrig

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well, I may need to look at changing the gears out. My travel trailer is right at the limit. Anyone know how much I should expect this to cost since it's 4WD?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaintMiles

Latest posts