Wheel Question. Swapping OEM 20's for OEM 18's?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Snowman7

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So my 07 XL Denali has OEM 20's. I'm gonna be shopping for tires in the near future( I really like the Cooper Zeon LTZ's!) But I was considering finding some OEM GMC 18's to swap for a(theoretically?) lighter rotating mass and a little better mpg and better ride.

I've hunted for threads or pics of someone else doing this, but haven't found anything. Most likely not too common...

Anyone had a set of 20s and 18s mounted with similar tires to compare weight? Or actually gone this route and have any input?

Trying to decide if it's even worth the trouble. There are plenty of places around here that have factory 18's that I could probably acquire for cheap or free by trading my 20's, just trying to decide if I'm going to gain anything.

Tires really aren't much cheaper for 18's vs 20's. A few bucks tops.

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
wont get enough mpg or better ride compared to the loss of the look of 20's compared to 18's.

Not worth the trouble

kylevd23

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
wont get enough mpg or better ride compared to the loss of the look of 20's compared to 18's.

Not worth the trouble

Agreed, I would keep the OEM 20's as well, if you go with the 18's, it still wouldn't be big enough difference, unless you go with a smaller diameter tire, which will then look even funnier.

al2fast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know if you do a lot of snow driving or not, but I had Cooper Zeon LTZ on my old 08 Sierra Denali and I thought they sucked in the snow after they got 10k miles on them. When I got rid of that truck they had 40k on them and still had quite a bit of life before the wear bars, about 3/8". I also could not get that truck to get better than 17 mpg on the highway driving it like a grandma with the Zeon's, I got 18 with the stock BFG's before that. I live in WI so there is potentially snow for 5 months.

powerhaulic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I typically see 18's more expensive than stock size 20" rubber
I run 17" Avalanche wheels and Firestone Winter force in the snow, they work great

kylevd23

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I don't know if you do a lot of snow driving or not, but I had Cooper Zeon LTZ on my old 08 Sierra Denali and I thought they sucked in the snow after they got 10k miles on them. When I got rid of that truck they had 40k on them and still had quite a bit of life before the wear bars, about 3/8". I also could not get that truck to get better than 17 mpg on the highway driving it like a grandma with the Zeon's, I got 18 with the stock BFG's before that. I live in WI so there is potentially snow for 5 months.

I had cooper zeon ltz on my titan, and yes you are correct, after a while of owning them, the compound hardened, even worse in the cold weather, after the winter was over, the tires were never the same, they started chunking, and were loud, and had no grip in wet weather. MPG also suffered, felt like the truck had no grip in both dry or wet. Just made it feel sluggish, trade those in for BFG at, no issues.

Denarli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So my 07 XL Denali has OEM 20's. I'm gonna be shopping for tires in the near future( I really like the Cooper Zeon LTZ's!) But I was considering finding some OEM GMC 18's to swap for a(theoretically?) lighter rotating mass and a little better mpg and better ride.

I've hunted for threads or pics of someone else doing this, but haven't found anything. Most likely not too common...

Anyone had a set of 20s and 18s mounted with similar tires to compare weight? Or actually gone this route and have any input?

Trying to decide if it's even worth the trouble. There are plenty of places around here that have factory 18's that I could probably acquire for cheap or free by trading my 20's, just trying to decide if I'm going to gain anything.

Tires really aren't much cheaper for 18's vs 20's. A few bucks tops.

I just bought a 2007 Yukon Denali XL with 18's in great shape. I'm in NJ. Let me know if you're interested in a trade.

gibbygsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stick with the 20's... Had 18's originally and always hated the look. Swapped to 20" replicas. No differance in mpg. Then again I can't get it to go past 15mpg do to a heavy foot and short trips. Just my opinion. Maybe do a leveling kit with a little bigger tire.

Attachments

• 20150323_154542.jpg
    20150323_154542.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 13
  • 20130918_103820.jpg
    20130918_103820.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 10

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rdalupan