Whine after factory nav install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MDC9966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went from a standard 6 disk bose unit to at nav/dvd unit. Since then, I've noticed an alternator whine during take off. Has anyone else gotten this after an install? How did you fix, or what was the issue? I've read it's a ground issue. I thougth of regrounding the radio to the body to see if that would help. Any help or experience is appreciated.
Thanks,

Stavy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Try running your ground to the under side of the drivers dash quite a few good ground spots under there

OP
OP
MDC9966

MDC9966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I unplugged the VSS wire and that didn't take the while away. The only other add to ungrade to the Nav unit was the voice prompt wire added to the plug (red and black, pins 4 and 5) that goes to the onstar module. So I will try to unplug those tonight and see if the while goes away. if it does, maybe I can figure a way to regroung that.

OP
OP
MDC9966

MDC9966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, the 2 wires going to the onstar unit (red and black) had no effect on the whine. But..... I accidently left the antenna unplugged and it stopping whining. I plug the antenna (am/fm) and the whine is there again. So, how do I fix that? ground the antenna better? Anyone else ever had this issue?

OP
OP
MDC9966

MDC9966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
More interesting info. While the antenna is unplugged (am/fm) the xm radio works fine, so does nav, etc... I tap into the ground wire coming off the 12v outlet from the dash and with just a ground wire touching the stero metal case it causes the whine to happen. So maybe it's the ground in the vehicle? The radio must be getting a clean ground from somewhere, it works fine and doesn't whine unless the antenna is plugged in or as I just found out, the ground from the 12v outlet is touched to it. Any help is appreciated guys.

OP
OP
MDC9966

MDC9966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried an external antenna and got the same whine noise, just curious, does anyone think it could be in the head unit? Has anyone had this on a nav/dvd unit and swapped it for another and gotten rid of the whine? If it's a grounding issue, should I be able to put the original (6 disk, non dvd, non nav) head unit in and still have this whining issue? Just looking for anyone else that has had it.

Corn24

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Check the wires going into your harness to make sure none are loose.

EMF Audio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
More interesting info. While the antenna is unplugged (am/fm) the xm radio works fine, so does nav, etc... I tap into the ground wire coming off the 12v outlet from the dash and with just a ground wire touching the stero metal case it causes the whine to happen. So maybe it's the ground in the vehicle? The radio must be getting a clean ground from somewhere, it works fine and doesn't whine unless the antenna is plugged in or as I just found out, the ground from the 12v outlet is touched to it. Any help is appreciated guys.

You've got a ground loop, and the antenna is grounded to the body while the harness is somewhere else. This leads me to believe you may have a loose ground between the battery or motor and the body. Check the factory ground points.

I tried an external antenna and got the same whine noise, just curious, does anyone think it could be in the head unit? Has anyone had this on a nav/dvd unit and swapped it for another and gotten rid of the whine? If it's a grounding issue, should I be able to put the original (6 disk, non dvd, non nav) head unit in and still have this whining issue? Just looking for anyone else that has had it.

Was this external antenna touching the body or grounded in any fashion? You could try taking the ground you used before that got rid of the noise and screwing it to the radio chassis and see if that solves it. If not, try touching it to the radio antenna ground while its plugged in.

OP
OP
MDC9966

MDC9966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From another post, I changed the radio back to the stock one and the whine went away. So maybe that's the problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tahoe nate