Alternator whine - but its not the usual suspects....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
J

Jimxms

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ok guys I did some more testing today, and I'm still stumped.

* I sprayed water on the alternator pulley and belt. It didnt make any difference to the noise, making me less suspicious of the belt.

* Then I connected jumper leads (both + and -) direct from the alternator to the battery. No difference. Note: I forgot to disconnect the alternator wire though...so this may be a false test.

Screenshot 2024-10-04 at 17.40.53.png

* Then i plugged in my OBD2 scanner, and checked the BCM for charging data. It appears to be pulling about 60A:

IMG_0755.JPG

I wanted to double check this with an amp clamp, but unfortunately I only have an AC one, so it didnt work.

* Then I checked for tensioner markings. I couldn't find anything definitive, so here are some pictures:
IMG_0760.JPG IMG_0762.JPG

* Finally I Ohmed all of the cables and routes that power would take:

Positive Wires
+ Wire that goes from alternator to fusible link = 1.8ohm
+ One side of fusible link fuse to other side of fuse = 3.1ohm
+ Positive battery post to battery side of fusible link = 3.4ohm
+ Alternator post to positive battery post = 10.2ohm

Negative Wires
- Alternator body to chassis post on firewall = 7ohm
- Engine block to random bolt on body = 5ohm
- Battery terminal to engine block = 4ohm

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sadly the ohm reading doesn't tell you much, even thou some of those do seem a bit high, but could just be the bolt heads and probe not making perfect contact. the meter just runs a small amount of voltage thru the wire, it doesn't give you much idea of what's happening with 60amp running thru it.

this is a simple way to give you good info with just a standard volt meter.

shame about the meter but if the obd reading is correct, 60amps shouldn't really made it whine.

I'm kinda out of ideas. maybe some others can help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
geeeeg