Whipple Supercharger w/ BTR stage 2 cam in Cali?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
J

jnord

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Whipple kits with a CARB EO# (like I have on my Tahoe) are CA legal. But you cant change anything else (such as a cam) and retain emissions legality. Does your Whipple kit have a CARB # and Whipple provided smog legal tune? IF not, you are going to have a fun, quick truck that isn't CA compliant
Yes it does. I bought the kit from Whipple directly. I just curious if anyone had any experience or knowlege here if there is any 'room' in the tune to allow at least a state 1 cam and that won't cause a smogging issue. I messaged Whipple last week...but still have gotten a response; I'm thinking they aren't going to want to give an answer and will just stick to what's safe for them of "no modifications" with the kit.

justirv

Reaction score
I have a 2007 Yukon Denali that I have a Whipple kit to install.
Question is...I just bought a BTR stage 2 cam kit that has a VVT delete.
Anyone running this setup in Cali? I worried about if it will pass a smog test.
A local shop is saying that it won't run right with the BTR cam and VVT delete on the ECU flash that Whipple has, and will need a custom tune, which will make it not pass smog.
Any way around this (other than not installing the BTR cam and VVT delete kit)?

thanks
If I recall correctly, in CA, smog will be visual, reconciled with any CARB EO's, then OBD-2 scan. If no MIL, and all State Req'd tests are "ready", you should pass. Whipple provides a CARB certified tune, they more than likely will not provide any info on modifications that skirt that certification. As far as camshaft selection, it is my understanding that on an N/A application, one can go as high as 212°/218° at about .550" without being noticed by the test facility. I'm not sure if the whipple tune would be able to adjust to this non-stock profile, but it should perform better than the stock cam. I want to S/C my 2002 Z71 Tahoe... being DBC my choices are limited vs 2003+ DBW. Following!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
curtisleefarmer