Wilwood big brake kit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BrokerThis

'22 Denali Dmax
Reaction score
Looks like wilwood has 3 options for a front upgrade. Anybody get one yet and have feedback?

This one is better priced than brembo, and the brand is reputable and highly recommended on the sports cars

Polo08816

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why would you need a big brake kit. The stock brakes are adequate. Are you tracking this 5700# beast?

I was not impressed by the brakes on the GM 1500s as well as the Yukon XL/Suburban, but if I had to upgrade, I would do the PPV retrofit as that has the most bang for the buck.

Sean Michael

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Can anyone explain the benefit of bigger and/or upgraded brakes on these trucks? From what I understand, which admittedly is not a lot on this topic, a typical vehicle's stopping power is limited by tire traction not the brakes, i.e. most vehicles can lock up the brakes (or go into anti-lock) at speed, and it's the tires that lose traction while the brakes themselves are usually powerful enough to stop the wheel from rotating. I heard bigger/better brakes really only come into play in delaying brake fade during sustained use, like tracking a car or driving down a mountain pass, not necessarily stopping any faster during normal driving on flat roads. Having said that, I could see that being useful for someone who drives in the mountains a lot, especially if they tow, but besides that, do they provide an appreciable benefit in normal driving?

Polo08816

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can anyone explain the benefit of bigger and/or upgraded brakes on these trucks? From what I understand, which admittedly is not a lot on this topic, a typical vehicle's stopping power is limited by tire traction not the brakes, i.e. most vehicles can lock up the brakes (or go into anti-lock) at speed, and it's the tires that lose traction while the brakes themselves are usually powerful enough to stop the wheel from rotating. I heard bigger/better brakes really only come into play in delaying brake fade during sustained use, like tracking a car or driving down a mountain pass, not necessarily stopping any faster during normal driving on flat roads. Having said that, I could see that being useful for someone who drives in the mountains a lot, especially if they tow, but besides that, do they provide an appreciable benefit in normal driving?

This is all true. Upgraded brakes may have better pedal feel and allow the driver to be more precision with his application of brakes - something that's more significant on a sports car or track car.

I would also argue that if you're towing, it would be more beneficial to have upgraded rear brakes as the rear axle would be more loaded.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
TL,DR:
Looks like wilwood has 3 options for a front upgrade. Anybody get one yet and have feedback?

This one is better priced than brembo, and the brand is reputable and highly recommended on sports cars.
Ever consider the GM OE PPV front brake option package?
Can anyone explain the benefit of bigger and/or upgraded brakes on these trucks?
From what I understand, which admittedly is not a lot on this topic, a typical vehicle's stopping power is limited by tire traction not the brakes,
i.e. most vehicles can lock up the brakes (or go into anti-lock) at speed,
and it's the tires that lose traction while the brakes themselves are usually powerful enough to stop the wheel from rotating ...
Wouldn't you rather have more brake than you need, instead of the bare minimum?
How much more over the bare minimum is up to you, of course.
But that way, you can be SURE that the tires limit your braking, not your brakes.
(Don't buy schidty tires.)
... bigger/better brakes really only come into play in delaying brake fade during sustained use, like tracking a car or driving down a mountain pass,
not necessarily stopping any faster during normal driving on flat roads ...
What do you think the BARE MINIMUM'd be if you're (dumb enough to be) towing 15,000lb down the steepest hill ever?
(Women and roads are better when they are NOT flat, and get bonus points and more attention for more interesting curves.)
Having said that, I could see that being useful for someone who drives in the mountains a lot, especially if they tow,
but besides that, do they provide an appreciable benefit in normal driving?
If you prefer a flat braking test ...
Think the highest speed limit in the contiguous U.S. is 80MpH? Or is it 85MpH?
Ever do an 85MpH-to-zero panic stop? Ever do another one under a minute later?
If the brakes are BARELY adequate, the second panic stop suffers without enough cooling time. (Normals would drive like wusses for the next five minutes.)
If the brakes are halfway decent, the third panic stop suffers.

Some six-figure sports cars have brakes that don't fade, even after at least SEVEN panic stops from 187MpH-to-zero.

My GMT821 has GMT931 front brakes ...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhrusso925