Wilwood big brake kit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

calsdad

Reaction score
I put the Wilwood big brake kit on my 2010 GMC Yukon XL 2500 back in very early 2020. I did the fronts first and then a year or two later I did the rears. The reason I went with the Wilwoods was that it was - from what I found thru a bunch of research ..... the only real viable option for my 8 lug truck. I was using the truck for commuting to work during rush hour in heavy traffic and had a few ass-puckering stops using the stock brakes. My stock brakes were probably admittedly not in the best of shape, but I also recall reading copious people bitching about the stock brakes in GM trucks from the same era as my truck. The brakes from later generation GM trucks were supposed to be a lot better - but shortly after 2010 GM changed the lug pattern on the 8 lugs and as near as I could tell at the time there was no easy path to convert to that lug pattern on my truck.

So Wilwood it was.

So it's been almost 5 years now I've been driving on them - and they have been reliable. I drive the truck almost every day , and unfortunately don't do as much towing with it as I originally intended - but it definitely stops better than it did originally. I think it feels better too - likely because the kit I got came with stainless steel flexible lines to replace the factory rubber lines.

There are some slight drawbacks: They need a little bit of heat into them for them to stop to best effect. And the pads that Wilwood supplied with the kit I used sort of suck when the brakes are wet. If you've been driving for a while and it's raining out it takes a little bit on first brake application for it to start really grabbing like they should.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alfred091

Latest posts