Window Tint...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gzes

the drifting 2dr
Reaction score
I have super dark illegal tint on my explorer and never been pulled over in it but at night I can't see shit Outa it. I would go to ok city and get it done if I were u bro. Or grand prairie tx at the traders village

phattyford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea 120 is low unless you knew the guy..

remember like i tell my clients you have 3 options: Quality, Cost, Speed... and you can only choose 2.. so i am willing to bet you got a low UV film that is not as durable and will not hold black for as long before fade..

im not a fan of cheap low quality film on a budget tint job.

I do know the guy, he has tinted every vehicle I've owned for the 14 years I've been driving. Probably about 10 different vehicles. I know that he used to use Sun-Gard films but I think now he's using MaxPro. I dunno if it "cheap" tint or not but the guy has been tinting for like 23 years and use to go to tint shows all over. He knows his stuff. I've never had a problem with fading or anything when using him.

Teqdogg

Reaction score
35% on front windows, 5% elsewhere.

So, you think 20% is too dark and not safe on the front windows, yet you have 5% on the rear over the factory tint??? :laughing1:

Visibility out of 15-16% on the front is much better at night than 1% on the rear glass when trying to back up.

njracer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Please let us know how it turns out. I considered tinting the sunroof but chose not to when warned about possible cracking. I'd assume how dark the layer of tint applied could be a factor...

According to my little portable Thermo Sensor, inside cabin temp is at 116 degrees. FWIW, that's with front, driver, passenger and back door reflective window shades in place and all windows cracked open about one inch.

Glass is still in one piece!

Edit @4pm...20120620heatwave120.jpg

Attachments

• 20120620 heat wave.jpg
    20120620 heat wave.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

njracer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a little update...

We've been thru like 4 heat waves here in NJ and the sunroof with the window tint on it is still in one piece.:)

micah

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Our expected high today in OKC is 115. That's in the shade too. I don't even want to guess what the leather interior is.

ajb1205

Reaction score
I am the owner of an automotive tinting business and have been tinting windows for 9+ years and never have had an issue with a sunroof cracking, breaking, etc.

Wow...you guys are getting tint done super cheap...I would be a little hesitant on the quality of tint you are getting, though (only time will tell). The only tint I have, and ever will, use is a Sun-Guard product called "Black Pearl". Is is a non-metalized, dyed film (no issues with keyless entry, back glass that has the radio antenna in it, etc) backed by a lifetime warranty. The best part it that is does not have the green or brown undertone that many tints have...it matches up to the factory tint as close as any tint I have ever used.

My last 3 suvs I have done another layer of 20% over the factory tint (ends up begin approx. 5% or limo) and then 20% on the front doors...looks great on the wifes black Tahoe LTZ.

IMG-20110919-00134.jpg

I would also not recommend tinting over top of previously installed film (factory tinted glass...go for it as it is colored glass as someone already mentioned). All tint has an anti-scratch coating so chances are the second layer will eventually peel/bubble and the end result is you will have to remove both layers. You will be better off removing it in the first place and starting from scratch.

Last edited:

Goodinblack

I Like Tacos
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ajb1205 what wheels are those.

Got any better pics?

I have 20" Up front and 20% on top of factory in the back.

picture.php
[/IMG]

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow...you guys are getting tint done super cheap...I would be a little hesitant on the quality of tint you are getting, though (only time will tell). The only tint I have, and ever will, use is a Sun-Guard product called "Black Pearl". Is is a non-metalized, dyed film (no issues with keyless entry, back glass that has the radio antenna in it, etc) backed by a lifetime warranty. The best part it that is does not have the green or brown undertone that many tints have...it matches up to the factory tint as close as any tint I have ever used.

Depends, I know what a roll of film cost, even the best stuff. A lot of the time the price is what they pay the tinter for labor and how much profit they want to make... but I'm sure you know that ;)

Hate to tell you this, but I think someone stole your door panel....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2024 Tahoe Brian