Windshield Replacement Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Firm

Reaction score
Had the windshield replaced in my 06 Escalade this morning at an AutoGlassNow location, out of pocket, not an insurance job. Everything went pretty smoothly and I inspected it in the lot and didn't notice anything weird. Got home though and decided to grab a stool to check out the top of the windshield and noticed this gap between the rubber trim and the roof. It's a little hard to see in the photos, but the rubber doesn't touch the body, there's about a 1/8" gap. I took it back to the shop and they explained that the rubber is what comes on the new windshield, and that's just how these aftermarket windshields fit. They were not able, or not willing, to do anything to fix it. On closer inspection, I think what happened is that the installer used too much urethane under the glass and it's sitting up a little too high at the top.

Now, I know that the urethane underneath is what keeps the windshield from leaking, and the trim is primarily aesthetic, so should I be concerned here? I am worried about it trapping water/dirt and causing issues down the road. Should I run a bead of silicone or weatherstrip adhesive to fill the gap? Escalate to AutoGlassNow HQ? Or am I just being too picky?

20240620_123921.jpg

20240620_123903.jpg

Last edited:

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Had the windshield replaced in my 06 Escalade this morning at an AutoGlassNow location, out of pocket, not an insurance job. Everything went pretty smoothly and I inspected it in the lot and didn't notice anything weird. Got home though and decided to grab a stool to check out the top of the windshield and noticed this gap between the rubber trim and the roof. It's a little hard to see in the photos, but the rubber doesn't touch the body, there's about a 1/8" gap. I took it back to the shop and they explained that the rubber is what comes on the new windshield, and that's just how these aftermarket windshields fit. They were not able, or not willing, to do anything to fix it. On closer inspection, I think what happened is that the installer used too much urethane under the glass and it's sitting up a little too high at the top.

Now, I know that the urethane underneath is what keeps the windshield from leaking, and the trim is primarily aesthetic, so should I be concerned here? I am worried about it trapping water/dirt and causing issues down the road. Should I run a bead of silicone to fill the gap? Escalate to AutoGlassNow HQ? Or am I just being too picky?

View attachment 430767

View attachment 430768
every windshield I have ever had replaced and that has been a few have been siliconed and then tapped over (with blue painters tape) and instructed not to remove it or wash it for at least 72 hours.

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Contact AutoGlassNow, you have nothing to loose and Doubeleive is correct, no driving with front windshield replacement unless something has changed, could have hit a bump and caused the gap, I would ask for a do over.

OP
OP
Firm

Firm

Reaction score
So to close the loop on this. I did contact AutoGlassNow, they were not helpful....Told me to wait a week and see if it settles, once I did that, and followed up to say that there was no change, the HQ customer service contact ghosted me, multiple calls and emails with no follow up from them.

I took it to my local Safelite and paid for them to re-do it. They did, and it came out perfect. They also commented that AutoGlassNow had left about 30% of the glass unadhered, which they felt was a big safety issue.

So, the lesson here, just go to Safelite the first time, and avoid AutoGlassNow as not only did this location mess up the install, but their HQ doesn't care. The lesson cost me an extra $300, and a half day of my time, but could've been a lot worse.

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That stinks they treated you that way, see if they have a way to post a review and nail them on their shoddy work. You might be able to take them to small claims court, too bad photos weren’t taken to show the crappy work but maybe Safelite would give you something in writing.

OP
OP
Firm

Firm

Reaction score
Honestly, it's not worth my time. I will be leaving them a scathing review, but chasing it further than that just isn't worth the $300

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Report it to your local BBB and in your complaint define what would be acceptable action on AutoGlassNow's part to resolve the issue that you paid for shoddy work, and they refused to re-do it. It might be good to have a report from Safelite to back it up. It's worth it to put them on notice even if you don't get any money back. We need to stop paying companies for shoddy work.

Also if this was an insurance job, be sure to provide feedback to your insurer.

The last few people who experienced this type of work didn't bother to complain, so there is no impetus to correct its work for future customers like you.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wbill99hoe