Rear spoiler backup lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JKaechler

Reaction score
i have been looking at options for better backup lights. It seems like the rear spoiler would be a fantastic place to add a pair of LED reversing lights. I have not found anyone selling a spoiler with such lights integrated. Has anyone added some LED's under the spoiler? Some kind of surface mounted LEDs maybe. It does not need to be super high powered to provide additional illumination for backing in at night, or for hooking up to a trailer.

I have been tryng to search this and other forums on the topic and seem to not be finding anything.

OP
OP
JKaechler

JKaechler

Reaction score
Lets continue the old thread!

Here is the solution I eventually came up with.
I have a 6 button relay control panel from Auxbeam installed, and the rear facing lights are on of those buttons.
Next up, i have a set of 4 small dome lights that will be mounted inside the rear hatch door panel such that when the hatch is open they face downward. Then i can hit a button and light up the work area where my tools and such are stored.
PXL_20240905_192348490.jpg

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lets continue the old thread!

Here is the solution I eventually came up with.
I have a 6 button relay control panel from Auxbeam installed, and the rear facing lights are on of those buttons.
Next up, i have a set of 4 small dome lights that will be mounted inside the rear hatch door panel such that when the hatch is open they face downward. Then i can hit a button and light up the work area where my tools and such are stored.
View attachment 437158
I like it

jgraves

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here are a few photos of my installation. The lights are Rigid SR-SERIES PRO 6 Inch DIFFUSED and offer similar output and beam pattern to the D2 dually I had hitch mounted on my previous Sierra 2500. I'm not thrilled with the appearance but it's about what I expected and the best comprise between functionality, appearance and ease of installation for me. They are not yet wired into the truck.

From the rear, they look a bit too utilitarian for my tastes. I can kind of get away with it on the more off-road styled AT4 but these would look really out of place on a Denali or Escalade.
IMG_4805.jpeg

It's hard to see in this photo but the front of the housing is only 1/4" from the underside of the spoiler. The lights angle down approximately 22.5°.
IMG_4806.jpeg

The side profile is okay.
IMG_4807.jpeg

The light output and pattern is great for a reverse light. I'm not sure they'll illuminate my trailer hitch as well as I had hoped but the reflection from the front of the trailer should be sufficient.
IMG_4813.jpeg

With the high mount location, these need a disable switch for in town. I ran the D2's slaved to the reverse lights for 10 years without any complaints but those were near the ground and angled more to the sides.
IMG_4814.jpeg

Jeff

Last edited:

jgraves

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've just done the same, starting with this post. 2 in the hatch and 2 in the headliner. I used Rigid high output A-series rock lights. Small and very bright (600 lumen) for their size.

Jeff

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hawkeye1