Wire Harness for 2003 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BizZill211

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello everybody! I'm new to the Tahoe and love it!! Me and my wife just bought a 2003 Tahoe and I need some info on installing an aftermarket deck. I'm not sure what trim level it is. I did a vin check and all three models popped up. LS, LT, and Z71 or whatever the other one is.

I don't have onstar or bose, and my door don't chime (Don't know why)
So my question is, do I really need the $50+ Wire harness with the chimer thing or can I just use the wire harness alone by it's self. And if so do any body know the model number of the harness.

Thx in advance

Grant1057

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just put a kenwood head unit in my 2002 tahoe with onstar, and if you order from crutchfield the adapter, dash kit, and antenna adapters are free! I took maybe 20 minutes of painless soldering and heatshrinking to put together and it was plug and play. even comes with a wiring diagram. i would say it was worth it. i dont know if you have ever looked at the factory plugs compared to the aftermarket but it is a significant difference

OP
OP
B

BizZill211

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yea I ripped the dash and factory radio out and I only seen one white plug that the wire harness connect to. but everywhere I went looking for the adapter they keep trying to tell me that I need the $50+ wire harness with the chimmer thingy. and they don't sell just the harness by it's self.

groundscr8pr

flaccid member
Reaction score
2002 and 2003 are completely different wiring systems. first thing you need to do is figure out why your chimes are not working. then you can decide which harness to run. if you want to retain chime for cheap get a metra lcgmrc-01.. if you don't want chimes 99-2003 then tun the supplied ignition wire to the wiper fuse in d side fuse box.

OP
OP
B

BizZill211

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
first thing you need to do is figure out why your chimes are not working. then you can decide which harness to run.

I have no clue where to even start looking for the source of that problem. My only guess would be this crap of a head unit. which is the reason I'm putting in a aftermarket stereo.

groundscr8pr

flaccid member
Reaction score
I have no clue where to even start looking for the source of that problem. My only guess would be this crap of a head unit. which is the reason I'm putting in a aftermarket stereo.
lol.. your prob right! i would recommend doing it the right way. you can find an lcrc-01 online pretty cheap.

OP
OP
B

BizZill211

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yep I found it right after I posted it. I went to walmart and found it. They didn't have it the first few times I went in but I guess they restocked. Also think I found out the reason my door chime didn't work. Both of my drive side speakers are blown and the rear passenger speaker sound like it's on it's way out. I hear alot of of rattle from there. I ordered some cheap pyle 4 way speakers off of Amazon. Just something to hold me over until I get my $$$ together

clarkvstewart

Reaction score
In my 2003 LT with onstar and bose I had to pickup the adapter to retain the chimes and onstar functionality. Also understand that the Bose sub won't work if you use the cheaper harness. Cost me $99 at crutchfield. Bought a pioneer appradio Monday from bestbuy for $299. $99 harness from Crutchfield plus $46 Axxess steering wheel control from Amazon. Crutchfield wanted $69 for it. Crutchfield wanted $399 for the radio and the harness would be knocked down to $50. So $520. Bestbuy $299 + $99 + $46 SWC harness BUT pioneer is offering a $50 rebate right now so:

$520 Crutchfield
$394 Bestbuy

Couple that with two local shops wanting to charge $295 and $400 respectively, and you see why I pieced the parts together and am doing it myself. It's more than I've ever paid for a radio BUT if you look at the appradio it's using your iPhone to bring navigation to the unit! Most nav units are $700 up! That sealed it for me.

Sorry for the rambling. If you don't care about door chimes and don't have Bose or onstar then I'd go for the cheap adapter. I couldn't get away with that and keep a stock looking setup.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rescurat