Wishful Thinking? (2014 Transmission)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lil Timmy Shy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Howdy, Boys: I recently got a 2014 with 31,000 miles and bought a Superior thermostat bypass kit to lower the transmission temp, which I heard was a GM attempt to increase mileage at the expense of slow-cooking the transmission. Anyway, I went to get the kit installed at my local transmission shop (I'm too old to get under a vehicle) and they handed the kit back to me and told me my vehicle did not have the thermostat set-up in my cooling lines. They also told me I was fortunate that I did not have the thermostat; that my transmission might actually last a while.
Next, I was at my local repair shop getting an oil change and the service manager, whom I know, told me I may "dodge a bullet" if my 2014 was "early enough"; that the really frequent transmission failures happened mid-2014 and newer. (My vehicle was built 09/13.)
Finally, in the last month I have met two different Tahoe owners - one of which said he has 187,000 miles on his 2012 Tahoe with no transmission failures, nor modifications, and the other has a 2011 with 211,000 miles and no transmission issues, or mods.
Question: Is there something to this - that earlier pre-thermostat 6L80 units typically last longer than later 2014 and newer transmissions with the thermostat? Thanks. I enjoy this website.

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The thermostat can stick and cause problems.

Our models shouldn't have one, I believe it's the next generation that got the thermostat.

The later years are more updated/better, but if there is something specific to mid-2014? I don't know.
Perhaps the new pickups that came out that year and have a thermostat?

With the kind of mileage you got, I might change the fluid and not worry about it for quite some time!

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Howdy, Boys: I recently got a 2014 with 31,000 miles and bought a Superior thermostat bypass kit to lower the transmission temp, which I heard was a GM attempt to increase mileage at the expense of slow-cooking the transmission. Anyway, I went to get the kit installed at my local transmission shop (I'm too old to get under a vehicle) and they handed the kit back to me and told me my vehicle did not have the thermostat set-up in my cooling lines. They also told me I was fortunate that I did not have the thermostat; that my transmission might actually last a while.
Next, I was at my local repair shop getting an oil change and the service manager, whom I know, told me I may "dodge a bullet" if my 2014 was "early enough"; that the really frequent transmission failures happened mid-2014 and newer. (My vehicle was built 09/13.)
Finally, in the last month I have met two different Tahoe owners - one of which said he has 187,000 miles on his 2012 Tahoe with no transmission failures, nor modifications, and the other has a 2011 with 211,000 miles and no transmission issues, or mods.
Question: Is there something to this - that earlier pre-thermostat 6L80 units typically last longer than later 2014 and newer transmissions with the thermostat? Thanks. I enjoy this website.
no thermostat on the gmt900's
the "weak" spot is the torque converter.
regardless of a 6l80 having a thermostat or not.
typical failures start to show up around 120k, this doesn't mean one will fail at that mileage it's just a known time period when it "could" start to show symptoms
it might go 400k and work perfectly.... no telling

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The thermostat can stick and cause problems.

Our models shouldn't have one, I believe it's the next generation that got the thermostat.

The later years are more updated/better, but if there is something specific to mid-2014? I don't know.
Perhaps the new pickups that came out that year and have a thermostat?

With the kind of mileage you got, I might change the fluid and not worry about it for quite some time!
never once heard of a transmission thermostat getting "stuck" where did you get that info? the way it is designed it's just a spring and a ball basically

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well maybe, maybe not! I haven't seen it myself, and there are no numerous claims, so maybe it's just shills.

At the bottom is an excerpt where someone claims it, also this company selling a bypass kit, so take it with a grain..

"The OEM part has restrictive internal passages. When the OEM valve fails in the closed position, transmission fluid doesn’t reach your cooler. This can be caused by mechanical failure or debris. The result of stock valve failure can cause the transmission to dangerously overheat. Without properly cooled transmission fluid, the demands of towing and rigorous stop-and-go driving conditions shorten the life of transmission components. The PPE Bypass Valve eliminates the extremely restrictive mechanical factory valve, maximizing fluid flow to and from the transmission cooler."

Photos of valve from this thread..

bypass2.png cooling2.png

--

"Yes I deal with the stock ones everyday. Im a world class tech for GM at a Chevy dealership. The converters on stock applications fail because they are designed to lock up in every gear after 2014. They are pulse width controlled, even on the 8L90 and so on. the new redesigned trans cooler lines have an updated thermostat valve that opens at 140 instead of 192. I have seen a LOT of failed units because that valve didnt open or was stuck. Im thinking on mine, my converter is slowly starting to die. Usually on the stock trucks, youd start to get a shudder. Im not getting that, so it confused me."
--

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Taythegoat

Latest posts