Wishful Thinking? (2014 Transmission)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
L

Lil Timmy Shy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yes, and No. LOL. Typo corrected. Appreciate the heads up
And thank you! So.......... I have a "2014" NNBS model Tahoe - built 09/13. It does NOT have the thermostat. And, if I understand correctly, The "2015" Tahoe was manufactured beginning December 2013, and released for sale in February 2014. It would be a K2XX and would have the thermostat. (I'm going nut-zo trying to understand all this nomenclature - NBS, NNBS, K2XX, et al.)

Last edited:

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well maybe, maybe not! I haven't seen it myself, and there are no numerous claims, so maybe it's just shills.

At the bottom is an excerpt where someone claims it, also this company selling a bypass kit, so take it with a grain..

"The OEM part has restrictive internal passages. When the OEM valve fails in the closed position, transmission fluid doesn’t reach your cooler. This can be caused by mechanical failure or debris. The result of stock valve failure can cause the transmission to dangerously overheat. Without properly cooled transmission fluid, the demands of towing and rigorous stop-and-go driving conditions shorten the life of transmission components. The PPE Bypass Valve eliminates the extremely restrictive mechanical factory valve, maximizing fluid flow to and from the transmission cooler."

Photos of valve from this thread..

View attachment 439466 View attachment 439467

--

"Yes I deal with the stock ones everyday. Im a world class tech for GM at a Chevy dealership. The converters on stock applications fail because they are designed to lock up in every gear after 2014. They are pulse width controlled, even on the 8L90 and so on. the new redesigned trans cooler lines have an updated thermostat valve that opens at 140 instead of 192. I have seen a LOT of failed units because that valve didnt open or was stuck. Im thinking on mine, my converter is slowly starting to die. Usually on the stock trucks, youd start to get a shudder. Im not getting that, so it confused me."
--
*has to be a failed sales pitch......
never once since 2017 (or before) when I registered on here and read the hundreds of thousands of post's here and other places online I have read has anyone reported one of these thermostat getting stuck or even failed period.
even with people flipping the pill and making a variety of other tweaks
only that the temp is a tad too high (194deg) in the oem original, the revised one drops it 36deg to 158deg
NOR is "overheating" mentioned or noted in the TSB as a customer concern or technical concern
i.e. (although "mil" is not defined)

Some customers may comment on one or more of the following conditions:• MIL illuminated• Harsh Shifts• Slip• Surge• Shudder• Harsh Garage Shifts• Harsh Range Shifts• Noise• Whine• Growl• Shake• Vibration• Delayed Shifts

Note: The TBV should be replaced one time for any transmission repair includingCustomer Concern Not Duplicated (CCND). Once the TBV Part Number 86774933,stamped with “70” as shown above is installed, it does not need to be replaced again unless it is determined the TBV has failed.⇒ The Transmission Cooler Bypass Valve (TBV) should be replaced with a new(TBV) that has cooler operating temperature and should be replaced whenany transmission repair is performed including Customer Concern NotDuplicated (CCND).Note: The “70” may be difficult to read as a dot print maybe stamped over the “70”.– The new TBV only needs to be replaced once. The new valve has a 70 stamped intothe bottom of the valve. The “70” stamp is visible on the valve when installed on thetransmission.–
The revised TBV has a full open temperature of 158f (70c). The previous TBV had a full open temperature of 194f (90c).

*they only mention replacing it "again" should it be determined as "failed" never heard of one failing either.......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dcqkslvr

Latest posts