Wood Steering Wheel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HOE-N-IT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had looked into this awhile back but didn't think any more about it. Now you have peaked my interest again. Dang!

You said that the, "Finish and match is absolutely perfect for my cashmere/burl interior." The web site states that the wood trim finish is slightly more glossy then the OEM wood trim. Did you find this to be the case and if so, is it really noticeable? I assume too that the hybrid and LTZ wood trim are the same.

The videos seem to be very detailed and complete. I would go ahead and disconnect the airbag connector at the steering column under the dash as shown as an option in the video instead of, or in addition to disconnecting the negative battery terminal.

Personally, I wouldn't have any problems trying this mod myself but only you can access your own abilities. Good luck.

Sheriff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The hardware attaching the airbag is behind the wheel, so no tools in the way- the airbag will just hit you square in the face if you did something wrong, no big deal.

The Titanic was unsinkable too.

If something can go wrong, it will.
:)

OP
OP
09tahoehybrid

09tahoehybrid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had looked into this awhile back but didn't think any more about it. Now you have peaked my interest again. Dang!

You said that the, "Finish and match is absolutely perfect for my cashmere/burl interior." The web site states that the wood trim finish is slightly more glossy then the OEM wood trim. Did you find this to be the case and if so, is it really noticeable? I assume too that the hybrid and LTZ wood trim are the same.

The videos seem to be very detailed and complete. I would go ahead and disconnect the airbag connector at the steering column under the dash as shown as an option in the video instead of, or in addition to disconnecting the negative battery terminal.

Personally, I wouldn't have any problems trying this mod myself but only you can access your own abilities. Good luck.

Thanks for the encouraging words!!!
I literally sat in car for 15 min comparing the wood and leather of the new wheel to the interior...I really could not tell any difference, it just looked right.

The video makes the process look pretty straightforward, I'm shooting to do this mod early next week, and will update with the result.

Thanks

Sancho

Reaction score
The Titanic was unsinkable too.

If something can go wrong, it will.
:)

That's why he needs to get the FSM so he can follow the procedure to properly disconnect the bag. I wouldn't just screw around with it willy-nilly either, but there is a procedure for their removal for a reason.

ChrisAU

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I'm in the same boat, I really want to do this mod again now.

To OP, Please post pics when you are done!

Faceplant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just got the new Steering wheel trim pieces and hope to install them this w/e. As the vid he posted shows, there are 2 ways to disarm the air bag, either should be sufficient. I certainly do not want to take an airbag to the grill, but I don't think this should be a problem.

HOE-N-IT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea, I'm thinking I will just do the trim pieces (spokes) too. I'm not sure I would like the feel of the "wood" on the wheel as much and I'm a little afraid it could crack over time or the finish could wear off from sweat or oils from my hands. I wouldn't want to returm my stock wheel so it gets a little expensive with the core charge too. This would bring a little of the burl from the dash and balance things out in my opinion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rnfernandez1968