Yukon vs Tahoe paint

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Warren Seale

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm in the market for a 24 Tahoe or Yukon. Is there a difference in the paint quality or appearance between the Chevy and GMC? GMC adds an additional charge for most of the colors but the color choices are pretty much the same between the two brands. The same production line is used so I can't imagine that they have a different paint process. Is this just simply a price upcharge (aka rip off) because it is a GMC?

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is this just simply a price upcharge - aka rip off - because it is a GMC?
YES.

To prove the point, compare & contrast a Tahoe / Yukon vs an Escalade.
How much would it cost a talented body shop to swap out all the Tahoe / Yukon stuff for Escalade stuff?

Point is, yes, it'd cost much more time and effort - but FAR less money - to do the above, than to just buy an Escalade ...
and if GM recently made it more difficult for a Tahoe / Yukon to 'get upgraded' to an Escalade,
it's expressly because GM needs to protect the ripoff.

(In NYC, there are more Tahoes / Yukons that look indistinguishable from Escalades than nearly any other metropolis in the world.
The idea is similar to making a Caprice 9C1 4.3L look indistinguishable from a mid-90s Impala SS.)

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm in the market for a 24 Tahoe or Yukon. Is there a difference in the paint quality or appearance between the Chevy and GMC? GMC adds an additional charge for most of the colors but the color choices are pretty much the same between the two brands. The same production line is used so I can't imagine that they have a different paint process. Is this just simply a price upcharge (aka rip off) because it is a GMC?
since 2015 the paint is sub par across the board, I would highly advise getting a ceramic coat on day one and get ding protection because the metal is paper thin as well.
just a heads up if you like a nice looking vehicle and want to keep it that way.

BacDoc

Reaction score
I can’t comment on GMC but my 2024 Tahoe has the metallic white paint that was $995 option and called “Iridescent Pearl”. I have to say that it is very nice finish even on the inside of the doors and sills. Paint quality is much better than my previous 2014 with standard enamel paint.

Most of the GM trucks I looked at before buying my Tahoe had excellent paint finishes. I couldn’t see any difference between the GMC, Caddy or Chevy. The metallic colors especially the sage metallic looked a lot better than the paint on Toyota Sequoias and the Ford Expeditions.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
YES.

To prove the point, compare & contrast a Tahoe / Yukon vs an Escalade.
How much would it cost a talented body shop to swap out all the Tahoe / Yukon stuff for Escalade stuff?

Point is, yes, it'd cost much more time and effort - but FAR less money - to do the above, than to just buy an Escalade ...
and if GM recently made it more difficult for a Tahoe / Yukon to 'get upgraded' to an Escalade,
it's expressly because GM needs to protect the ripoff.
Kind of doubt this would be less money.

For the exterior, You would need a new hood, new bumper covers, new headlights, new grill, some way to wire in the fog lights (since the bow tie doesn’t have them) new logos, new wheels, new running boards, new side door logos, new mirrors, and paint for all that.

From my experience when I had a small accident, one Denali Headlamp assembly is $1800, the grill is $1600, the logo in the grill is $425, and the bumper cover is $400 before paint.

And we haven’t even talked the interior through yet…which is a whole lot of difference.

I think the exterior could be done, but I doubt it’s “far less” than just buying the Low end Escalade

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rusty Dodge

Latest posts