painted interior parts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tybardy

everyone needs a Hoe
Reaction score
I thought there were a few dudes with painted interior parts on their trucks. I cant remember though.

I am going through mod withdrawl and I like projects. I want to paint something.

Anyone painted their interior and have pics? Maybe some prep tips? Product tips? And tips so I can do a project and maybe even a write up...

I need my fix GD it but Im too poor to buy something ultra sweet

dropmech

Puddle Pirate
Reaction score
Please, if you decide to paint your interior, please please please don't go crazy. So many people make their interiors look so tacky when they paint them. It reminds me of people who go and buy a flame sticker and put it on their car just because they had $5 in their pocket.

OP
OP
tybardy

tybardy

everyone needs a Hoe
Reaction score
Well, you know that the interior is mildly two toned as it stand right?

I want to paint the top (darker color) black throughout and paint the bottom (lighter color) a dark grey color. I just HATE the tan interior color and would love to get things darker inside

tahoe7689

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would love to do that too, I am just afraid it will look like crap

Young28

The Yukon God
Reaction score
If you plan on painting your dash i would watch out for black. The only thing that sucks about painted dashes is the reflection. I have windshield tint so it helps. My dash is painted a gray like the interior, and from the airbag down is painted black

OP
OP
tybardy

tybardy

everyone needs a Hoe
Reaction score
hmmmmm.... There has got to be a paint that is super flat. I live in AZ so sunlight is frequent and often blinding. Reflection is not an option

BOSS

The People's A D M I N
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I cant give away any pictures yet but painting interior is no easy task if you want to do it correctly...it's taken me several pints of dark greys and blacks to get the color JUST right. I've gone through 200mL of spraying paint and 60mL of flat to get the color I wanted...if you want to get accuracy, you can't just mix up 10mL of paint as the room for error is much higher and each color mix will come out just slightly different from the previous.

Not to mention, removing the top layer of mold release agents and years of garbage is ridiculously tedious. (It's like removing shalack coating from wood with Acetone if you've ever done that before) I'm not trying to discourage you but moreso trying to give you an idea of what you are up against. Painting a couple smaller pieces is one thing, but if you are going to do the dash and some larger pieces be ready!

The dash is painted plastic, while 90% if not all the remaining tan interior pieces on the Tahoe's are molded plastic - so the color of the plastic itself is tan.

B O S S

---------- Post added at 10:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:01 PM ----------

hmmmmm.... There has got to be a paint that is super flat. I live in AZ so sunlight is frequent and often blinding. Reflection is not an option

Let me know if you have any questions. For flat black, I'm using a 30% mix of flat with just the straight black surecoat toner from SEM. It's not really flat, it's more of a muted black with no glare.

B

laydouthoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I fiberglassed and painted the dash in my s10. I used a flatning agent in the clear. It has some gloss but not a lot of glare. The dark spot you see is something on the windshield.
s10024.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Islandboy

Latest posts