02 Tahoe Z71 Suspension

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fernandodagoat

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 02 Tahoe Z71 4WD.

I need to do my front suspension as it's gone bad. I bought parts from RockAuto last year but they didn't last at all.

I'm thinking of doing the entire suspension, front and back.

What are some good brands for suspension parts and could I convert to air or coilovers if wanted to?

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Besides the zombie chant of AC Delco,
and
come to mind. There may be others?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Zombie checking in. Use Genuine GM or AC Delco. You did not say what parts you bought and who made them. Partial suspension or steering work gives you partial results. Did you align after? Why do you want coil overs or air?

Welcome to the forum from Oregon.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

You are already receiving clarifying questions from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.

I replaced my entire front suspension and most of my rear suspension, and I used GM OEM parts. More expensive than aftermarket brands, but you get what you pay for, at best.

Go to GMPartsDirect.com and enter your VIN. Prices are much better than the local dealership.

OP
OP
F

fernandodagoat

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Zombie checking in. Use Genuine GM or AC Delco. You did not say what parts you bought and who made them. Partial suspension or steering work gives you partial results. Did you align after? Why do you want coil overs or air?

Welcome to the forum from Oregon.
It was pretty much the entire front suspension.

Control arms, tie rods, sway bar, etc..

I was just saying would it be better to upgrade the suspension rather than doing oem. I've got like 340k miles on it right now.

OP
OP
F

fernandodagoat

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

I was just saying would it be better to upgrade the suspension rather than doing oem. I've got like 340k miles on it right now.
I forgot to mention that I don't remember the brand of parts that I bought but it was those basic ones you see on RockAuto.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
There are several basic ones. Control arms-upper and lower containing bushings and ball joints on both sides, inner and outer tie rods on both sides, sway bar frame bushings and end links, steering shaft, steering gear and p/s pump, pitman arm, idler arm and bracket, center link, both hubs and bearing assemblies and complete inspection of frame for any cracks or rust through. Finish up with alignment.

Trey Hardy

8” fabtech icon coilovers uniballs 24x14on35/15.50
Reaction score
I have a 02 Tahoe Z71 4WD.

I need to do my front suspension as it's gone bad. I bought parts from RockAuto last year but they didn't last at all.

I'm thinking of doing the entire suspension, front and back.

What are some good brands for suspension parts and could I convert to air or coilovers if wanted to?
Atomic fab makes a nice torsion bar to coil over conversions for these 99-06’s
I personally run kryptonite products on everything I own and I’ve had no issues at all with any of their stuff.
I wanted to be one and done for awhile as far as the front end goes so I opted for the beefier kryptonite stuff and locking alignment cam plates from dirt king fab to hold it all together
Even if you plan to stay stock height kryptonite is about the beefiest suspension you can get for these rigs before stepping into fabricated pre runner suspension with heimjoints and what not
Note if you do switch to coil overs up front it would be beneficial to upgrade the upper control arms and if money allows it a set of uniball uca to allow for more down travel as it’ll give you a smoother ride and your suspension won’t “bottom out” like it does on the stock suspension

Trey Hardy

8” fabtech icon coilovers uniballs 24x14on35/15.50
Reaction score

I did my kryptonite suspension at around 250,000 miles or so
I now have over 400,000 miles on the Tahoe in my profile pic
So my front suspension has lasted the abuse of a 9” lift and 24x14’s and 35/15.50s on 2” wheel spacers for almost 150,000 miles now and it still drives like I just put it on!

OP
OP
F

fernandodagoat

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I did my kryptonite suspension at around 250,000 miles or so
I now have over 400,000 miles on the Tahoe in my profile pic
So my front suspension has lasted the abuse of a 9” lift and 24x14’s and 35/15.50s on 2” wheel spacers for almost 150,000 miles now and it still drives like I just put it on!
I was looking at Kryptonite.

They don't have a complete kit for suspension?
Atomic fab makes a nice torsion bar to coil over conversions for these 99-06’s
I personally run kryptonite products on everything I own and I’ve had no issues at all with any of their stuff.
I wanted to be one and done for awhile as far as the front end goes so I opted for the beefier kryptonite stuff and locking alignment cam plates from dirt king fab to hold it all together
Even if you plan to stay stock height kryptonite is about the beefiest suspension you can get for these rigs before stepping into fabricated pre runner suspension with heimjoints and what not
Note if you do switch to coil overs up front it would be beneficial to upgrade the upper control arms and if money allows it a set of uniball uca to allow for more down travel as it’ll give you a smoother ride and your suspension won’t “bottom out” like it does on the stock suspension
It looks like Kryptonite doesn't sell all suspension parts. What other brands could I pair with Kryptonite for the rest of the suspension if I do go with them?

Money isn't really an issue but I also don't wanna spend a stupid amount

I just want a smooth ride that'll last me a long time, not like the cheap parts I bought.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BenK