07 Escalade 6L80 into 12 Escalade - swapping 2012 valve body/TCM into the 2007 6L80

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jrobie79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2012 Escalade transmission is toast. I have a low(er) mileage 2007 Escalade 6L80 that I just finished putting in the truck. If I take the 2012 Valve Body & TEHCM and swap it into the 2007 transmission will I need to reprogram/flash/tune it?

I have both valve bodies/tehcm on my workbench and I can't see any physical differences, so it should go in just fine, just not sure about the software aspect.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Please keep in mind that I'm a pessimist ...
Unfortunately, the odds that the software that operates BOTH '12 AND '07 sklaids is IDENTICAL, is very low.
GM had already started down the path of making things unnecessarily complex in the EARLY 2000s.

You can either have the TEHCM re-programmed before, or after installing it in the vehicle.
My guess is, GM would only do it in the vehicle at a dealership, meaning you might have to pay to tow it there.

Instead, you may be able to either mail it to a pro tuner, or find one more local to you.
Either can sprinkle in increased durability and longevity, over whatever GM would overcharge you for an OE program.

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But he's swapping the TEHCM (TCM?)..(pretty sure he has to vs. just flashing new software) so isn't he swapping the software and electronic hardware?
If no physical differences, and no other ancillary electronic changes, I think it SHOULD work...

OP
OP
J

jrobie79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Please keep in mind that I'm a pessimist ...
Unfortunately, the odds that the software that operates BOTH '12 AND '07 sklaids is IDENTICAL, is very low.
GM had already started down the path of making things unnecessarily complex in the EARLY 2000s.

You can either have the TEHCM re-programmed before, or after installing it in the vehicle.
My guess is, GM would only do it in the vehicle at a dealership, meaning you might have to pay to tow it there.

Instead, you may be able to either mail it to a pro tuner, or find one more local to you.
Either can sprinkle in increased durability and longevity, over whatever GM would overcharge you for an OE program.

I'm retaining the tehcm and valve body from the junk transmission - after thorough disassembly and cleaning and residual metal particles from it.

OP
OP
J

jrobie79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But he's swapping the TEHCM (TCM?)..(pretty sure he has to vs. just flashing new software) so isn't he swapping the software and electronic hardware?
If no physical differences, and no other ancillary electronic changes, I think it SHOULD work...
That's my line of thinking. We'll see what happens in a couple hours

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I remember @nickstransmission saying if you transfer the TCM over you don't need to reprogram, but I'm also guessing that tranny has to match the TCM you're putting on it. and I don't anything about that side.

if you need to reprogram, it's not the end of the world.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Specifically, I'm concerned about a possible mismatch between the engine and transmission segments.
@jrobie79, you obviously have YOUR VIN.
Would you have the VIN of the '07 sklaid?

That way, I can show you (and everyone else) how to use this website:

OP
OP
J

jrobie79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Specifically, I'm concerned about a possible mismatch between the engine and transmission segments.
@jrobie79, you obviously have YOUR VIN.
Would you have the VIN of the '07 sklaid?

That way, I can show you (and everyone else) how to use this website:

I do not, I can reach out to guy who was parting out the 07, but it's likely been out of his yard for weeks if not months at this point. I bought this transmission for my previous 2011 Escalade as the trans was slipping in that but the engine gave up (309k miles) before the transmission actually sh*t the bed completely. I found this 2012 Escalade for a steal of a price (and it's a platinum) so I just bought it instead of replacing the engine in my old one.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just tried to use a random 2012 Escalade VIN at the website I just showed.
The website seems to be down for the time being.

Point is, you use your VIN to find out about the program segments of your Escalade,
then use the other VIN to see if the TEHCM would need to be reprogrammed or not.
Again, me pessimist, I assume yes ...
If the website recovers you can set pessimism and optimism aside, and get an answer.