2006 Tahoe parking brake shoes installed DIY

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2006Tahoe2WD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I decided to dig in and replace the parking brake shoes because I wasn't getting any holding effect when pushing the parking brake pedal down. In retrospect I probably could have just made an adjustment.
Adjusting the parking shoes is a PITA because you need to remove the calipers.

By pulling on the cables (one at a time) I was able to get them unhooked where the one to two bracket is. This gets the cable loose enough to get the lever out and then new one in. I got new boots but did not install them because it looked like too much to take apart. The shoes come off without pulling the axles. See videos (1AAuto?) on Youtube. I installed the new shoes, hold clips, adjusting screw/etc. that came with the complete kit. Don't break the 8mm bolts that hold the clips. I'd say unless there is a lot of rust/etc. you can use the old clips (add locktite) and adjustment "screws". Clean and re-grease. I used the new parts in the full kit I got.

With the adjustment all the way "down" I installed the rotors and was able to see that when the pedal is pushed all the way down I got some parking brake effect. I'll probably need to readjust soon or when it won't hold on a hill. As mentioned adjustments is a PITA, lots of seemingly needless wrenching. The caliper bolts should be installed with Loctite and re-installed with Loctite, so they take some torque to get them out. I think the install torque is 80 lbs-ft. Check that. I just put them in "tight".

The whole project was a good amount of work because I spent a considerable amount of time figuring out how to get the parking brake cables loose. I couldn't see how to loosen the cable near the pedal.

Sgtduckyboy

Reaction score
very interesting. makes me say F it. I have the same problem but would love the parking brake to work. my dust covers on the rears are coming loose from rust. figure i might need to spend a weekend under this thing next fall to get all this fixed and cleaned up.

BeenChevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Still have your old brake shoe lever key's? I began replacing mine a few weeks ago and noticed one of the lever key's was missing along with the entire baking plate disintegrated :) Can paypal you money if it's the same style.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ScubaMama

Latest posts