2008 GMC Yukon Denali - Stay away?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ajdahl8660

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm considering purchasing a 2008 Yukon Denali that is a few hours away from my shop. We would be replacing a 2011 Tahoe with 150K on it that spent its life down south and is in very good shape (need more space for the kids and all their crap.) The Yukon looks to be in excellent condition body wise, with the exception of some very very minor underside rust - a rarity for MN. According to the current owner, it currently has 140K miles and runs and drives great. I am drawn to the 07-08 6.2 trucks due to the lack of AFM. In my opinion, it's priced high at $11.5K, but owner said he would negotiate in person. Is $9500 cash a fair price? We had an 07 Yukon SLE with the 5.3 and it was a great truck, but I have never owned a 6.2 or anything with AWD. Pros? Cons? Run away? Thoughts? Any input is appreciated. Thanks!00909_jB1oMDjIekq_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
only thing I didn't realize when looking at the 6.2 before getting my yukon was you gotta run 91/93 in it all the time.. unless it's flex for e85. around here that's over a $1more a gal.

just a heads up that I didn't realize was a big deal. I'm used things recommending 93 but running 87 anyways and it's fine. these break piston ring lands and might even be why they drop valve seats more often than 5.3/6.0L

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can attest to the durability of these trucks. I've had 4 of the 07-09 with the 6.2L. I rarely run premium and have put lots of miles on them. I will say they like premium better for sure - you can just hear it in the way it runs, especially lower rpm ranges. A 20% blend of E85 also works quite well, the engine loves it, but you sacrifice a small amount of mpg.

In the early years, the transmissions could be problematic. If it's had good service history, then you will probably be OK. In 2 of my trucks I bought them with GM certa transmissions already done before my ownership. 1 was replaced at 90k under warranty (sold the truck with 227K, no issues whatsoever). My current 2008 had a trans replaced at 120k with GM certa (currently at 184k). Just something to be aware of. It seems like the newer reman ones have updated parts and hold up well.

I will say I had 1 POS 6.2L in a 2009 Denali XL that I bought from a schiester in Dallas, TX. That one eventually had a piston failure at around 165k and started burning copious amounts of oil. I traded and never looked back. I can't say for certain why that happened, or what factors ultimately led to the failure.

Listen for piston slap on a cold start. It is common for these, but if it doesn't go away within a few minutes of driving, then you may have a potential issue. The 2009 that failed had piston slap that never fully went away. All the others have had varying degrees of cold slap that all go away with some heat in the cylinders.

All-in-all, I'd say if the truck is clean, then the price he's asking isn't too bad. But, if it's seen it's share of salt in MN, then beware of the rocker panel section behind the second door, the area near the gas filler/bumper mating zone, door crimps, and front fenders. I personally wouldn't pay that money for anything from a salt area. As you know with your current ride from down south, there's a huge value to the lack of corrosion. In appearance, maintenance, and any future repairs.

There are lots of these out there in salt free states. Road trip it!

OP
OP
ajdahl8660

ajdahl8660

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I can attest to the durability of these trucks. I've had 4 of the 07-09 with the 6.2L. I rarely run premium and have put lots of miles on them. I will say they like premium better for sure - you can just hear it in the way it runs, especially lower rpm ranges. A 20% blend of E85 also works quite well, the engine loves it, but you sacrifice a small amount of mpg.

In the early years, the transmissions could be problematic. If it's had good service history, then you will probably be OK. In 2 of my trucks I bought them with GM certa transmissions already done before my ownership. 1 was replaced at 90k under warranty (sold the truck with 227K, no issues whatsoever). My current 2008 had a trans replaced at 120k with GM certa (currently at 184k). Just something to be aware of. It seems like the newer reman ones have updated parts and hold up well.

I will say I had 1 POS 6.2L in a 2009 Denali XL that I bought from a schiester in Dallas, TX. That one eventually had a piston failure at around 165k and started burning copious amounts of oil. I traded and never looked back. I can't say for certain why that happened, or what factors ultimately led to the failure.

Listen for piston slap on a cold start. It is common for these, but if it doesn't go away within a few minutes of driving, then you may have a potential issue. The 2009 that failed had piston slap that never fully went away. All the others have had varying degrees of cold slap that all go away with some heat in the cylinders.

All-in-all, I'd say if the truck is clean, then the price he's asking isn't too bad. But, if it's seen it's share of salt in MN, then beware of the rocker panel section behind the second door, the area near the gas filler/bumper mating zone, door crimps, and front fenders. I personally wouldn't pay that money for anything from a salt area. As you know with your current ride from down south, there's a huge value to the lack of corrosion. In appearance, maintenance, and any future repairs.

There are lots of these out there in salt free states. Road trip it!
I have been looking around online at these rigs for some time now, and you are definitely correct, there are nice rust free examples down south and on the west coast. I have also considered this option! I figured at worst case, this truck could become my work truck and we could find a southern one for my wife. I have some undercarriage photos from the owner and it looks very respectable underneath.

I suppose my best avenue would be to decode the RPO and run a CarFax. The current owner has not had it very long, and I think he might be flipping it.

I am torn to be honest. And the fact that he has had one or more people look at it makes me wonder if there is some sort of underlying issue.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would agree. I am very surprised it has not sold after 7 days listed...
Well, you also need to consider that it's a personal sale, no financing options. When the American Dream is to live paycheck to paycheck, coming up with $9500 cash is a lot harder.

Low ball him with cash in hand with the narrative I just explained. I don't think it's going anywhere fast. I've been watching these trucks for years, in many markets, and there are a lot that stay listed for many weeks, if not months. If he takes the deal, then you have some money for a maintenance fund if needed.

I feel a lot of these are bought at auction to be resold. That can be good or bad depending on the reason it was auctioned. A lot of dealerships will auction anything over a certain age or mileage, regardless of condition.

OP
OP
ajdahl8660

ajdahl8660

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well, you also need to consider that it's a personal sale, no financing options. When the American Dream is to live paycheck to paycheck, coming up with $9500 cash is a lot harder.

Low ball him with cash in hand with the narrative I just explained. I don't think it's going anywhere fast. I've been watching these trucks for years, in many markets, and there are a lot that stay listed for many weeks, if not months. If he takes the deal, then you have some money for a maintenance fund if needed.

I feel a lot of these are bought at auction to be resold. That can be good or bad depending on the reason it was auctioned. A lot of dealerships will auction anything over a certain age or mileage, regardless of condition.
That is one of the reasons he told me that the last sale fell through. The guy could not get financing, at least that was the story.

If I can remember correctly, he stated that the first owner had it until 30K, then the 2nd owner had it until 135K. Current owner went back to a pickup and is looking to get rid of it I guess.

In my mind, this should be a $6000 truck, lol. But that's not what the car market says.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dnbri512