2008 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vikes84

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2008 Tahoe with 224,000 miles and its been great no major issues I do regular maintenance when needed. My question is what if any should I replace (tranny, engine) or just keep doing what I've been doing to keep her on the road.

Thank you

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
... '08 Tahoe 224,000 miles ... no major issues ... regular maintenance when needed.
... What if any should I replace (tranny, engine)?
or just keep doing what I've been doing to keep her on the road?
If you have any specific suspicions or concerns, by all means, speak on them.
Lots of experiences here for you to benefit from, but if you say nothing ...

Assuming no specific issues, check the condition of your fluids.
What others call 5 year coolant, I call 3 year coolant. Think the same way for other fluids:
oil, ATF, rear axle / front differential, power steering, brake fluid
If you change fluids a lil bit more often than GM suggests, it can only benefit your vehicle's longevity.

The Murphy's Law-pessimist might prepare by buying parts in advance:
H2Opump, radiator & fans
fuel pump, charcoal canister
check anything you haven't addressed in at least 3 years

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 2008 Tahoe with 224,000 miles and its been great no major issues I do regular maintenance when needed. My question is what if any should I replace (tranny, engine) or just keep doing what I've been doing to keep her on the road.

Thank you
original owner?
bought it used?
knowing where you are on "other" maintenance is what it key here.
things like wheel hubs, 02 sensors, heater hose's & T's, etc.
if you know where you stand on everything then just keep on truckin..... visual inspect from time to time under it with a flashlight, that way if a leak develops or something then you can address it before it becomes a problem
cheaper than a new car payment+devaluation

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Welcome @vikes84 … You are one of the lucky ones who kept their 07-14 and ridden the payback wave into the safe harbor of PIF Cove. It’s a good place to be :peace:

The next decision is either selling it off when the trans or motor goes or riding the next wave yachting style.

Bid your time on the what if scenarios for peace of mind. If the motor goes do you want another 5.3? A 5.3 with no AFM or a 6.0 L96 from a gasser 3/4 or 1T that runs on regular AND e85 or a non AFM 6.2?

You’re lucky in that you’ve got a 6L80 / 6 Speed. The kits to install 8 speed from the 15-20 trucks are just starting to hit the market. Check your backing plate seals behind the rear discs for leaks. Plan for the service that requires pulling both axles & the diff cover / fluid & rear brakes at same time.

You’re in a good, predictable place with a solid full size vehicle that only has upgrades to offer at replacement pricing.

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just enjoy it, keep up in the maintenance and fix things as they break

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
metal2forall