246 Transfer Case Separation - Open or close the snap ring?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

electro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

I'm installing case saver, replacing both drive shaft seals, and probably rear bushing a bearing - IF - I can get the thing separated!

I bought a set of snap ring pliers, there not going to work at all, wrong style-completer waste of time.

My question is: Do you open or close the snap ring inside the case? The one that you need to deal with to allow the case to come apart.

Is there a more specific name for the required pliers other then, "snap ring?"

I'm looking at it, but I just cant seem to visualize what is supposed to happen inside?

ALSO, what side should I sit the tcase on that will make this easier for me?

Thanks in advance,
Ryan

OP
OP
electro

electro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well...you open the snap ring.

The simplest of snap ring pliers will work no prongs needed.

You need to set the case down on the front output shaft end.

After removing the small rubber grommet to get to the snap ring above you then open said snap ring and lift the top of the case straight up and off.

tbuck11

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well...you open the snap ring.

The simplest of snap ring pliers will work no prongs needed.

You need to set the case down on the front output shaft end.

After removing the small rubber grommet to get to the snap ring above you then open said snap ring and lift the top of the case straight up and off.
You need lock ring pliers and the lock ring gets pushed outwards. The snap ring is on a bearing. Sometimes hard to get off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TU1881