4 Piston Big Brake Upgrade from 2019-20

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the hybrid wheels from the NNBS line will clear these brakes or is there not enough offset? Wheels are 18 inches.

Attachments

• IMG_2485.jpeg
    IMG_2485.jpeg
    23.4 KB · Views: 3

Kermode

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
First off, I would like to apologise for this taking so long to get back with information and results. Besides bad parts being sent and having to wait for replacements as well as flakes on craigslist, it took a bit to get the parts together, cleaned, smoothed, painted and rebuilt. It didn't help much that we also had several rogue rain storms for days (Having to work in drive way) as well as having that bad FLU that is going around for 2 weeks that is still hanging on. Needless to say, it's been a rough couple of weeks!! LOL!

I am getting a couple custom stainless braided brake lines made which is another week out due to my Tahoe having the double brake lines above the diff (stabilitrak???) that most companies either don't sell with their kit, or ones that do, I have read nightmares about them leaking due to bad fittings (some have even said the wrong fittings?!?!) Not wanting to mess with that, I took my stock ones down to a local hydraulic co. and they will duplicate them. so stainless lines are on hold for now.

The double brake lines...
brake lines.jpg

In a way, that has worked out for the good as far as comparing goes as I get to compare these brakes directly with the 07+ brakes on front and dual piston caliper upgrade in rear that I had on there before without an advantage of stainless lines. Also, I purchased the same Akebono ProAct brake pads that I had before as they are great pads and figured the brake compound should be very close if not the same unless there is a manufacturer requirement that would make them different for this year/model. So at this point, everything is exactly the same as I had before, but only with the 2022 calipers and rotors.

Got everything done and bled yesterday and a couple short trips here and there just to get a feel for them.
So to clarify, I have hydro boost, stock 34mm or 1.34 brake master (vacuum boost masters are 31.75 mm or 1.25) , stock but new rubber lines when I did the 07+ upgrade last year, dual piston rear calipers and then the front brakes from 19+ and re bled with the same dot 4.

So the real question is, do they brake better?!?! so far, yes!!! I don't believe the pads have completely settled in yet but already I do notice a smoother and more confident stop. Before it seemed like you would be slowing, and slowing and then you kinda panic at the end to stop, and though it would definitely stop, you just didn't feel real confident. Seemed almost all or nothing at times. (possibly an issue with one caliper as when I did the 07+ upgrade, they were new calipers but I noticed on disassembly, the outer pad didn't wear quite as much as the others on one pass side even though the pins slide just fine.) The original brakes kinda felt that way as well, but I think that was more due to the minimal size of the stock rotors and pads. I do have hydro boost and with the previous 07+ set up, the pedal barely moved and was almost rock solid after only pushing maybe an inch and always had a weird feel to it. Now the pedal goes down a little further before feeling it start to really engage but it is a smoother engagement. It actually has a better pedal feel to it than before which I am very happy with. ABS only tried to kick on one time and that was coming to a corner where I was braking and there was some pea gravel in the road and had one little skid, ABS kicked on and that was it. hasn't since and doesn't on normal roads.

I do believe it is worth it if your are looking for better brakes. I did notice though, there was a bit of an increase in weight with the new rotors and calipers so if you are looking for less un-sprung weight....Not the way to go.....But it does stop better and that is what I was after. I don't race or autocross the Tahoe in any way so its not a big concern for me. I just want to make sure I can stop!!! lol

I guess the only real issue on whether you should do this brake upgrade or not is wheel fitment. My 22 Texas edition wheels fit and a several others do as well, but seems there are quite a few that won't fit. Especially if you have aftermarket or custom wheels that you don't want to part with. In that case, stick with the 07+ upgrade as it's going to be a great upgrade from stock and also should be a lil cheaper as it seems the newer 19+ calipers and rotors have gone up in price a bit due to popularity.

I have to do a bit of driving this next week so hoping to really get some more road tests in but overall I think it's worth it!

Again, sorry for the long delays as well as sorry for the long winded write up, but, If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask....pics are in my previous posts....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SWoolf777