Adding Power Running Boards to Non-Factory Equipped Model

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fearz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
kind of...obviously the steps can only open so far, but the motors would still be powered and trying to force them "more open" which would lead to them burning up. The statement on the other forum was to have the relay timed for the amount of time it takes the steps to fully open so once the trigger supplies the power to open it would cut off once they were fully deployed. same for them closing.

so what I am thinking is I would need 4 timed relays, one for each side up and one for each side down.....hmmmmm

do you know enough about relays to know how the "trigger" works. Meaning the relay would have constant power and the factory wire tapped would just be a signal to release that power, you don't think it would affect anything on the oem wire side of its operations do you??? that question geared to this statement on the other thread
"You need to diode isolate the door pin's when you do it. If not the back feed 12v through the relay coil to the door pin wire will **** off the BCM. "

I dont get the last part because if the relay flips and lets power through it only uses that wire as a trigger and doesn't feed into it. The relay would flip and let the power go to the motor for the time allotted then stop all power.
Mybad if I misunderstood the question.

OP
OP
baggedlvintegra

baggedlvintegra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont get the last part because if the relay flips and lets power through it only uses that wire as a trigger and doesn't feed into it. The relay would flip and let the power go to the motor for the time allotted then stop all power.
Mybad if I misunderstood the question.

Your analogy makes sense to me, but I don't know enough about relays to say

Fearz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im trying to say that it doesn't feed power back into that wire. I have a relay in the car, but cant upload a picture to show you as im on mobile. In my head it would go

Constant power one pin
Switched power one pin
Trigger one pin
Ground one pin
Then when trigger is applied relay flips and makes "click" sound
Then power runs for time and step goes down. The only problem I see is if the door open signal is not long enough and the step stops.

Last edited:

yates ™

Resident Apple hater
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not always the case as certain things like say an air compressor needs the relay to open the circuit so when the signal is applied it opens the circuit and when the tank reaches a certain pressure it cuts the signal which closes the relay circuit and cuts the power to the compressor.

Fearz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But in that case is there just a pressure sensor controlling the signal so when it gets to low the sensor sends power to the relay which then makes the compressor kicks on, and then once the pressure gets right the sensor cuts the signal.
Wouldn't that still just be a regular relay?

---------- Post added at 03:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:42 PM ----------

One thing that im also lost on are the door signals Data or 12v?
If they 12v that makes life easier.

Last edited:

yates ™

Resident Apple hater
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But in that case is there just a pressure sensor controlling the signal so when it gets to low the compressor kicks on, and then once the pressure gets right the sensor cuts the signal.

---------- Post added at 03:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:42 PM ----------

Yes it would be a regular relay. I have no idea on the door signals but if you can tap into for amp steps then you can tap into for these.

OP
OP
baggedlvintegra

baggedlvintegra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But in that case is there just a pressure sensor controlling the signal so when it gets to low the compressor kicks on, and then once the pressure gets right the sensor cuts the signal.

I would asssume 12V because in the AMP install instructions they use the door signal wires to tap into to make theirs work

Fearz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I think the only missing part is the time that the signals stay on.

For example does the door open signal stay on the whole time the door is open, and does the door closed signal stay on the whole time the door is closed.

yates ™

Resident Apple hater
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It would show the door open until you close it.

OP
OP
baggedlvintegra

baggedlvintegra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
great points....I think the only way I would know that is trial and error

another question, do either of you know if on the factory equipped models when you open JUST the rear door, do the steps come down? the way the AMP instructions state you only tap into one wire per side per up/down...I would think this would mean they only open when the front doors are open and not if just the back was open....unless the signal they tap into represents the whole side of the vehicle

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leschew