Adding Power Running Boards to Non-Factory Equipped Model

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fearz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
great points....I think the only way I would know that is trial and error

another question, do either of you know if on the factory equipped models when you open JUST thcould door, do the steps come down? the way the AMP instructions state you only tap into one wire per side per up/down...I would think this would mean they only open when the front doors are open and not if just the back was open....unless the signal they tap into represents the whole side of the vehicle

I think those wires represent the whole side cause the amp guide says blk/gry drivers Side and wht/tan passenger Side. I didn't see a phone number on their site, but im sure you can find out quick.

Edit: plus it would make sense to have the whole side one wire so no matter which door opened the steps would deploy. Now im not sure about that as i know the screen tells you which door is open so each door could be individual or it could just read for a break in the signal to tell which door is open.

Last edited:

yates ™

Resident Apple hater
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It should drop down when any door is opened but I have not looked at the amp wiring to tell you how it works.

OP
OP
baggedlvintegra

baggedlvintegra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you may be right Fearz with regards to just reading a break and it's probly a single signal. Atleast it seems to have to be the way the AMP steps operate.

another idea on your comment earlier....you questioned if the door open / door closed signal stayed on the whole time the motors would be closing / opening, but I thought the point of the relay was to hold constant power and the signal just allow that to flow.

ie when the signal hits the relay it is a one time "pop" if you will that starts the clock, then the relay provides full power for the designated time following the "pop"...if that makes sense

OP
OP
baggedlvintegra

baggedlvintegra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I put the this diagram together, I'm thinking this has a pretty good shot at retro-fitting the power running boards that would retain the factory operation. Let me know your thoughts.....also I'm not electronically versed enough to know exactly what relays I need to pull this off, suggestions would be appreciated. I've found this one that seems like it could work... http://www.ebay.com/itm/330773555670?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

RetrofitPowerRunningBoardSchematic.png

Pachanga02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Were you able to install and have the boards work as stock? I was thinking about getting a set of these and trying to get them to work on my NBS Denali. Instead I went with 08 NNBS escalade running boards.

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
its the same when trying to program Power folding mirrors into a truck that didnt come with that option from the factory.

OP
OP
baggedlvintegra

baggedlvintegra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't received the boards yet but I will keep everbody posted when I do....I think in principle I have figured out how to make them work but I really need some help finding a relay that will perform the desired function. Seeking an electrical guru!

Pachanga02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In my case I have an 02 without power fold. So to have that I think I read I need the bcm from a newer with the power fold option. When I was looking into swapping the power boards I asked my electrical guy and he said he would connect them using a switch to manually do it from the inside or splice into the puddle lamps since they turn on when the doors open to have the boards fold out. I thought it was a little too complicated and didn't go with them. But if I lower my truck in the spring I think it would look killer with the power boards

Regency

Supporting Member
Reaction score
How are you going to add the button that makes them down all the time or up all the time near where the foot pedal adjusters are?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
metal2forall