Are Trailer Tire Pressure Monitors Addable After the Fact

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My dealer accidentally forgot to order the Trailer Tire Pressure Monitors (RPO = PTT) on my 2022 Yukon XL Denali with Max Trailering Package. (no dealer bashing here, not why I am posting, they offered a re-order, and I declined, so its on me).
That said, wondering if anyone knows if these can be added after the fact?
Do I just need to add the sensors for the trailer tires, do I need to add a module, is it impossible? Looking for any real world answers.

Dealer said it would require a module, a wiring harness, and an antenna, all of which are NOT included on my particular vehicle.
Other Online Info says as long as you have the Pro Grade Trailering Equipment (RPO = UET), all you need is the sensors.
Net, just looking to know if anyone has successfully hooked up trailer tire pressure monitors without having ordered them from the factory.

genestoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same thing happened to me as the dealer forgot to add the sensors $50 to the order. My dealer tells me no problem he will just get the sensors from parts and include them with the deal as the Trailering package has the app already.

According to GMC
Trailer Tire Pressure and Temperature Sensors
$50
  • Set of 4 sensors
  • Sensors will be shipped loose with the vehicle and will need to be installed on trailer by customer
  • Additional or replacement sensors are available as GM Accessory
  • System is capable of monitoring up to 6 wheels
  • May require additional optional equipment

OP
OP
WalleyeMikeIII

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same thing happened to me as the dealer forgot to add the sensors $50 to the order. My dealer tells me no problem he will just get the sensors from parts and include them with the deal as the Trailering package has the app already.

According to GMC
Trailer Tire Pressure and Temperature Sensors
$50
  • Set of 4 sensors
  • Sensors will be shipped loose with the vehicle and will need to be installed on trailer by customer
  • Additional or replacement sensors are available as GM Accessory
  • System is capable of monitoring up to 6 wheels
  • May require additional optional equipment
I was hoping that was the answer, but my dealer says no…and I can’t get anybody at GM to answer me straight

genestoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I called my dealer GSM today and posed the question again and said he would contact GM, he called me back an hour later and confirmed that "if" the vehicle was ordered with the Max Trailering package that everything is there in the vehicle and only needs the GM sensors mounted in the ytrailer wheels to work.

If somebody here has the Max Trailering package without the tire sensors and can confirm that the app works (like waiting for input from the sensors) that would confirm that everything is there?

OP
OP
WalleyeMikeIII

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve got all that. Max Trailering, Denali Premium, Advanced Capability. My boat is in storage, so cannot answer if connecting it will yield the tire pressure learn procedure or not. Gotta wait for spring for that!!! I do hope you are right!

ekordas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m almost 100% sure that the sensors will work with any vehicle with the prograde trailering system which is part of the Max Tow package. My Sierra wasn’t ordered from the factory with the trailer sensors and I was able to add them no problem.

OP
OP
WalleyeMikeIII

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m almost 100% sure that the sensors will work with any vehicle with the prograde trailering system which is part of the Max Tow package. My Sierra wasn’t ordered from the factory with the trailer sensors and I was able to add them no problem.
What year is your Sierra? I want to agree w/ you. My dealer wants to continue to tell me I am SOL. It’s a $150 risk to get the answer! Unless someone can confirm it as so!

ekordas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Sierra is a 2020. If you have RPO code ZL6 (prograde trailering system) the sensors will work. “The trailering app that is part of Chevrolet’s Advanced Trailering System and GMC’s ProGrade Trailering System (RPO ZL6) includes a Pre-Departure Checklist, Maintenance Reminders, Trailer Light Test, Trailer Electrical Diagnostics, and Trailer Tire Pressure and Temperature Monitoring.”

StephenPT

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Check out this video - I'll bet if you can get to the screen where he's setting up the trailer tire pressure sensors, then yours will work as long as you buy the sensors and have them installed.

OP
OP
WalleyeMikeIII

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
RPO’s have changed a bit and content may differ w/ Yukon vs the pickups. That said, I was told by a parts manager at a different dealer that the key RPO was UET which I have, in addition to the pro grade trailering package. Guess I just need to wait and connect my trailer when I can get it out of storage. That will be the tell.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1962C10Youkon