AWD Traction off

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

puckhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trying to find some good info on this.

If I turn traction control off on my truck is that basically making it a 4wd truck?

I have an 07 Denali XL.

Thanks guys! Sorry if its been talked about before. Can't search good on my phone.

Ex Euro Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Meaning 25% of power delivered equally to all 4 wheels? I think the rear diff is open on these vehicles. That's the whole idea of using the traction control. Just guessing here.

OP
OP
puckhead

puckhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I'm not sure. Basically my truck has all time AWD (I think). No off button or 4wd button.

I do have traction control button though. If I turn that off the truck should act more like 4 WD right? Better for off road?

ccapehartusarmyINF.(ret)

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no it will not make yer AWD act more like a 4WD TCS designed to prevent loss of traction of driven road wheels. TCS is activated when throttle input and engine torque are mismatched to road surface conditions. Intervention consists of one or more of the following: Brake force applied to one or more wheels
Reduction or suppression of spark sequence to one or more cylinders
Reduction of fuel supply to one or more cylinders
Closing the throttle, if the vehicle is fitted with drive by wire throttle
In turbocharged vehicles, a boost control solenoid is actuated to reduce boost and therefore engine power.

Mercedes becuase of the amount of horsepower vehicles are producing these days and the fact that just about anoyone that has the cash can buy these high horsepower vehicles with now expierience they needed a feature to prevent on of these fools that thinks there dale earnhardt from wrapping themselves around a telephone pole when they decided to roast the tires

---------- Post added at 05:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:01 PM ----------

an AWD vehicle differs from 4WD because
AWD has a differential between the front and rear drive shafts that allows for front and rear differentials to spin at different speeds this allows for operation on all surfaces
4WD vehicles have a transfer case usuallyattached to the output shaft of the tranny with a gear or chain drive that connects a second drive shaft that goes to a front differential with locking hubs this does no allow for both differentials to spin at different speeds that is why it they always have a warning with 4wd no to operate on pavement

OP
OP
puckhead

puckhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, but that didn't help. You may have not read my question right.

If you turn traction control OFF, does AWD act more like 4WD? Im not expecting to act the same. Maybe similar though. Just better for off road.

Last edited:
OP
OP
puckhead

puckhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What about also manually downshifting to a lower gear? Might be a dumb question. Just trying to make it as off road capable as possible.

ezdaar

Chat Troll
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ccapehartusarmyINF.(ret), did in fact answer your question.
You simply want to argue about the answer he told you because you don't know what your asking.

Read up on how 4wd works and understand it..
Read how AWD works and understand it.
Read how Traction control works and understand it.

Educate yourself, don't rely on others to educate you. Have question after your self taught education, Ask.

Manually downshifting is not bad, but also not good.
Offroad capable? After reading how TC works, you will understand why its better to have it on.

Last edited:
OP
OP
puckhead

puckhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's why I came here. To get a better understanding of how it works. I get the basics of all 3.

What's the best way to get the most out of my AWD Denali while off road?

OP
OP
puckhead

puckhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have read plenty. That's why I came here. Isn't that why we all come here? Isn't that what forums are for? I get conflicting stories in several areas so come here for good advice. Not some copy paste hack job. And not for a pretentious answer of go read it yourself.

Why do you say leave TC on but others saw turn it off? This is for off road mountain roads. Not just dirt roads. My tires are great.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yukon DRL

Latest posts