Building A 1,000HP Capable 6R80/6L80 Trans

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder if/how much stronger the ford vs chevy.
They said 1,00hp in a 3,400lb car..

The big thing in that article seemed to be the external TCM, so they could control directly.
There seem to be external boxes for the 6L80 that will control it similarly..

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Umm...1,000 HP in a 3,300 to 3,400 lb car.

I wonder what translates to when you install it in a 5,500 lb truck? Just wondering?

I had no idea that ZF Co designed Ford & GM 6 speed slush boxes. Great read.
I don't believe they co-designed them. It's a ZF design, which Ford and GM each adopted independently. Unfortunately, GM decided to value engineer some of their internal parts (value engineer = cheapened them out) and we know the outcome.

Last edited:

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Even better. I still have the Orig ZF 5SP man in my VW Corrado w/ 300k+ miles, 4 clutch packs later. Not a bad design considering after 120k miles on the chassis it got a 30% increase in hp & tq and another 15% after 200k w/ a new motor.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Umm ... 1,000 HP in a 3,300 to 3,400 lb car.

I wonder what that translates to when you install it in a 5,500 lb truck? Just wondering?
1st, thought bubbas / XLs / Stretch Vehicles weighed over 6,000lb?
(then add how many people how much do they weigh?)
2nd, what does that translate to in a 6,000lb vehicle towing over 2x that weight,
especially when the tractor and the trailer are both bricks, aerodynamically speaking?

Last edited:

HD_LS

Reaction score
I was always of the opinion that it was incredibly stupid to have all the transmission control electronics inside of the transmission itself. Ford did that right. I'd gladly pay thousands more for the vehicle, not to have the electronics inside the transmission.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was always of the opinion that it was incredibly stupid to have all the transmission control electronics inside of the transmission itself. Ford did that right. I'd gladly pay thousands more for the vehicle, not to have the electronics inside the transmission.

honestly if you live up north in the salt world, it's safer inside the tranny. of the gm modules that are first to go, it's always the ones under the truck, like the rear back by the spare tire, and on mine the brake stuff under the driver seat area. I know it seems crazy. but you never really see tranny module fails from being inside the fluid. you will see some talk of solenoid failing, but they kinda have to be inside. be really hard to route fluid from inside to outside solenoids.

my take is all these modern trannys fail from bad engineering flaws, cheap parts and lack of service intervals in the manuals. no tranny is a forever fill. I'd pay more for a better quality lock up clutch in the converter but not to move the TCM outside.

HD_LS

Reaction score
Good points. I'd still prefer the easy replaceability. There are still a ton of sensitive wires (including CAN communications) going into that corrosion prone connector on the transmission.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good points. I'd still prefer the easy replaceability. There are still a ton of sensitive wires (including CAN communications) going into that corrosion prone connector on the transmission.

I nice milspec cannon plug would have been very worth while.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bl74